what brand tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

lifeofleisure

Reaction score
would you buy if buying a new one?

Looking for minimum 60HP at PTO. Haven't decided on cab or not as they seem hot in summer.
I am in SW Virginia, and have MF271 as my primary large tractor, and an old oliver that will be replaced with the new one.

I am waiting on quotes from several dealers on some models.

JD 5093, 5083, 5075
NH Workmaster 75 4WD,TD5050
MF 5425, MF 2650 HD MF 2660 HD

I used to be the type that would buy what ever would work for me if I could afford it. But I had to change that when equipment got to costing more than my house. Lately I look at resale, parts and service availability, and the stability of the company that produced it, a lot more.

You will be hard pressed to find a better tractor than a John Deere, they will be here when you need them. Parts are available for most all of the tractors they built. N H parts cost as much or more than J D parts. A good dealer is the biggest bonus most of the time.

Check into each dealers service depts. I bought a TD5050 from a NH dealer that was further away than the JD dealer just because of the service dept. If I were doing it over again I would probably go with a JD. This is not a knock on NH just that the local JD dealership has a new management and is 10 miles away instead of 40.

The previous replys pretty well sums it up, SERVICE after the sale is the most important part of the equation

Don't overlook how close the dealer is to you. I have a Deere dealer 15 minutes away, compared to 45 minutes for MF or Case. I hate to think how many times I've driven there and back, had the parts replaced and been back in the hay field before I could have even gotten to the other guys.

With Deere, you pay more, but you get better service and better parts availability most of the time.

my preference in this order would be NH, JD then Kubota
they all make good tractors and they all make lemons about the only differnce is how the dealer takes care of the problems that you have and you will have some
Like Lane farms said check into the service dept and talk to their customers to find out how good a dealer they are
as for the cab I wouldn't own a tractor without one as for being hot that is what the A/C is for

Never had a parts availability problem with NH
and just because it is green don't think it isn't made overseas

A buddy of mine has a new NH and likes it, another buddy has a new Case IH and likes it, yet another has a 6420 JD and likes it. I would think any one of those three would be good depending on the dealer.

Larry

larryshoat":x29g2kh1 said:
A buddy of mine has a new NH and likes it, another buddy has a new Case IH and likes it, yet another has a 6420 JD and likes it. I would think any one of those three would be good depending on the dealer.

Larry
depends on what size but alot of the case IH and New Hollands are the EXACT same tractor just different colors
for instance a case MXU125 is the same as a NH T6050 , MXU115 is the same as a NH T6030
a case JX 95 is the same as a NH TD90

I have 2 Fords, 1 New Holland and 1 Kubota. Have major problems getting even the simple parts for the Fords and New Holland. This is a dealer problem and not a tractor problem though. I really like the Kubota and the dealer is excellent. The Kubota dealer is also a Massey dealer but I have not owned one. We have no other dealers within 75 mile but I am sure all you mention would be as good as the dealers that sells and services them.
As for the cab, if you are doing a lot of work with one as AC said I would not be without one. The air and heat sure makes using it a pleasure.

Thanks to all for the replies. I am 30-45 miles from nearest dealer regardless of make. Service from NH on baler when brokedown was excellect, and they sell MF as well. The JD dealer has excellent service as well. Oliver is one I have hard time getting parts for. Guy at church recommended a Mccormick, and some other lesser named tractors have same componets of the named ones. Some of the newer stuff don't seem to be made as well as eariler models.

Temps 20 degrees below normal (17 tonight) with 40 MPH winds lately have me looking at cabs.

I tend to over think when spending this much cash. As I told one dealer I have to rasie 90-100 calves to pay for one.

Still interested in knowing what folks think of what is out there to help with my purchase.

I have a Kubota 7040 tractor.It alot lighter made than the JD or the New Holland. If I had it to do again,I'd still have my New Holland.Couldn't afford a JD at the time.

Another thing to think about is depreciation. A NH in my area loses value like a rock, you can drive it off the lot and lose 10-15% and have a hard time selling a used one. Now JD on the other hand seems to maintain its value very well. Look on tractorhouse to get an idea on values, they have a large array of listings that will surely give you an idea of value.

lot of john deere fans.

I agree that the dealer and service after the sale is the most important element.

I have an old ford 3610 that I got used a few years ago and I like it pretty well. neighbor ahs a ford 5610 and it is a nice tractor. I have never operated a new holland and really don't like the look since they became new holland.

if I were buying new I would not buy one today without four wheel drive and especially with a loader on it.

i see only 1 other person has mentioned kubota.i just bought an mx5100.an i called a few days ago to price an 8540 hydro shuttle 4x4 with ROPS for $33000 an $37,000 with loader.

Ok
Spent the time at dealers today that were nearby and here are the quotes
All quoted with loader (80+" quick attach), Bale spear, shuttle shift, cab, 4x4, delivered.

MF 2650hd (74hp engine 62hp PTO- 49,300
MF 2660 (82hp engine 70hp PTO) - 50,800

NH - Workmaster 75 <no Cab> 36,000
NH TD5030 (75hp eng 62 hp PTO) - 43,200
NH TD5050 (95hp eng 80hp PTO) - 47,900

JD 5075E <no Cab> (75hp eng 61hp PTO)- 31,500 delivery next june unless they can find one
JD - 5083E (93hp eng 75hp PTO) - 44,500

Haven't been to Kubota or others but will be looking at some others.

Should be able to buy the 5083E for 41,000. as of 9-1-10. Remember they want to sell more than you want to buy. Shop around your local dealer will probably match your best price.

lifeofleisure":1cd91zs8 said:
Ok
Spent the time at dealers today that were nearby and here are the quotes
All quoted with loader (80+" quick attach), Bale spear, shuttle shift, cab, 4x4, delivered.

MF 2650hd (74hp engine 62hp PTO- 49,300
MF 2660 (82hp engine 70hp PTO) - 50,800

NH - Workmaster 75 <no Cab> 36,000
NH TD5030 (75hp eng 62 hp PTO) - 43,200
NH TD5050 (95hp eng 80hp PTO) - 47,900

JD 5075E <no Cab> (75hp eng 61hp PTO)- 31,500 delivery next june unless they can find one
JD - 5083E (93hp eng 75hp PTO) - 44,500

Haven't been to Kubota or others but will be looking at some others.
something else you need to ask the dealer is what the weight is of each tractor you are looking at you can have all the HP you want and if the machine don't weigh as much as a smaller HP machine the smaller mmachine will do more work hp does no good if you don't have the traction

Dammit, I had just a touch of tractor fever. Now thanks to this thread it is full blown. Again!

Latest posts