What are your thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
We have a angus cross cow that was confirmed bred by a vet last fall. She wasn't AI'd so I don't have an exact due date although I do make note of I happen to see a cow in heat/bred by the bull...I thought she was due today but she hasn't bagged up (maybe slightly started too) so I was assuming she didn't stick on the date I saw her in heat and figured she will calve in another 3 weeks or so.

Well...last night she started to isolate herself from the herd which isn't like her. We feed them all some silage once a day and she didn't come up to the wagon to eat (also not like her). All today she has stayed isolated and when I go anywhere semi-near her, she will get up (normally she doesn't care if I walk right next to her). She just stares at me til I walk away then lays back down. She has moved around the pasture but always is off by herself.

If she was bagged up I would be convinced that she is close to calving. But like I said, barely an udder. This will be her third calf and I'm stumped on whats going on and would love ideas!

She finally calved today! Didn't go well though, had to pull it...biggest calf we've ever had. The other calf that was born a few days ago was backwards and decent sized as well. Hopefully the rest come easy! And we used a calving ease bull!

Latest posts