What are you huntin with this year ?

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
This old 30-30 was give to me by an old man that bought in new in 1953,still killin deer.
IMG_0700.jpg

good luck

oscar p":4usgx2jf said:
Bought a new Thompson Center Encore in 308. Trigger is to hard.Not really impressed with it, so far
Encores (and Contenders) are really pretty easy to improve the triggers on. Chekc with Brownells to see if they have after market spring kits for them.

M70 Carbine in 250 Savage. Just as effective yestersay as it has always been, one shot one deer.

I had one of those 30-30's but I had a problem with the knockdown power. Traded it for a single shot New England Firearms 7mm08. It wouldn't shoot straight or eject the spent cartridges. My brother gave me a Ruger 270 a couple of Christmases ago. It shoots straight and knocks deer down.

My daughter missed an elk so we took her gun (270) to the range. Shot a bunch through it and couldn't get it right. I think it is the cheap old scope she has. So she took my 30-06. She killed her first elk with it two days later. That gun has killed a lot of elk. Me I packed my 300 Win Mag but I never saw a legal bull. A three point or better area all I could find was spikes and cows. All three guns are Ruger M77. My two have Leopold scopes, hers has an old Bushnell Banner scope. Next year hers will have a Leopold.

I use a Marlin lever gun chambered for the 450 Marlin shooting hand loaded 400 gr. Speer bullets. It puts a Big hole in whatever it hits.

tncattle467":l089nhzd said:
Red Bull Breeder":l089nhzd said:
tncattle467 most of them old winchester 30 30s eject from the top a scope gets in the way.

This one looks just like the one in that picture and ejects from the side If I remember correctly, i havent shot it in nearly a year and a half. Scope dont get in the way.

Marlin makes a 30-30 that is made like the one pictured and it ejects from the side,mine is a winchester and top ejects,not really suited for scopes,more of a saddle gun which I use it for.
good luck

PS I have an old Ruger #1 in 270 calibre with a leoupold scope,when I get serious :D
IMG_0449.jpg

Last years buck,soon as I get caught up on chores,I will try my luck this year,been seein a few nice deer.
IMG_1423.jpg

HAY MAKER":3rd1jb4r said:
tncattle467":3rd1jb4r said:
Red Bull Breeder":3rd1jb4r said:
tncattle467 most of them old winchester 30 30s eject from the top a scope gets in the way.

This one looks just like the one in that picture and ejects from the side If I remember correctly, i havent shot it in nearly a year and a half. Scope dont get in the way.

Marlin makes a 30-30 that is made like the one pictured and it ejects from the side,mine is a winchester and top ejects,not really suited for scopes,more of a saddle gun which I use it for.
good luck

PS I have an old Ruger #1 in 270 calibre with a leoupold scope,when I get serious :D
Winchester modified the M94 to an Angle Eject in I think the 70s. Made it better for mounting scope but they worked better if the scope was rotated 90 degrees to the left so the elevation became windage and windage became elevtion. That kept the brass from someimte smacking the4 adjustment turret. Same trick works wityh the SKS with a low mounted scope

cfpinz":1d7ohyy6 said:
The same old 270 Featherweight that I've been using since I was 14.
Those old model 70's were some of the best guns made,I had a couple of them and traded them off.
good luck

dun":3870uwvr said:
M70 Carbine in 250 Savage. Just as effective yestersay as it has always been, one shot one deer.
Yup,lot'sa venison harvested with the old 250's,bout the best gun savage made in my opinion.
good luck

ga. prime":35oqwlxi said:
I had one of those 30-30's but I had a problem with the knockdown power. Traded it for a single shot New England Firearms 7mm08. It wouldn't shoot straight or eject the spent cartridges. My brother gave me a Ruger 270 a couple of Christmases ago. It shoots straight and knocks deer down.
thats a shame you had bad luck with your 7mm08,I aint ever owned one but I hear the 7mm08 is about perfect for whitetail.....................good luck

Dave":10i67h0p said:
My daughter missed an elk so we took her gun (270) to the range. Shot a bunch through it and couldn't get it right. I think it is the cheap old scope she has. So she took my 30-06. She killed her first elk with it two days later. That gun has killed a lot of elk. Me I packed my 300 Win Mag but I never saw a legal bull. A three point or better area all I could find was spikes and cows. All three guns are Ruger M77. My two have Leopold scopes, hers has an old Bushnell Banner scope. Next year hers will have a Leopold.

I believe those leopold scopes are worth the money,I bet they are gettin pricey now tho,I know the last one I bought 15 years ago was'nt cheap.
good luck

Dave":2y2wk4m3 said:
The strange concept of checking zero and function before going hunting never occured to you/her?

HAY MAKER":2mqtxg8d said:
ga. prime":2mqtxg8d said:
thats a shame you had bad luck with your 7mm08,I aint ever owned one but I hear the 7mm08 is about perfect for whitetail.....................good luck
That single shot 7mm08 was a sweet compact gun when it was out of the box. Poorly made though it turned out because everything loosened up and it wouldn't group or even pattern after only 2 or 3 boxes of cartridges were fired with it.

ga. prime":rw4k845x said:
HAY MAKER":rw4k845x said:
ga. prime":rw4k845x said:
That single shot 7mm08 was a sweet compact gun when it was out of the box. Poorly made though it turned out because everything loosened up and it wouldn't group or even pattern after only 2 or 3 boxes of cartridges were fired with it.
Just goes to show that there are lemons everywhere. A friend of mine bout one of them in 243 and it is still a MOA rifle. Another gent I know has one in 223 and it will outshoot almost every bolt action commercial rifle I've seen. Back 10 years ago I had a customer that bought one in 22 hornet that fell apart in less then one box. I shipped it off to NEF and when it came back it was almost perfection.