What are they worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Guy here is selling out what few cows he has due to cancer. Registered Herefords, 4 pairs with calves 2 weeks to 3 months old, with a Registered bull also that is 26 months old. I think he is high but really don't want to counter with a lower offer due to his condition. What would your opinion be for some average genetics.

I know someone who wants the bull. I know one of the cows is a 2008, says 3 of them have their fourth calf on them and the other has the third calf.

Average 5 yr old [4th calf] registered hereford cow with small calf at her side should be worth at least $2500.
The 7 yr old cow must have missed at least one calving cycle.
A see craigslist ads "sucker fishing" exposed commercial cow/calf pairs for $3500+

Can you get some pictures?

I think if the cows are decent $2500 for a pair isn't bad.. offer $12K for the works gets you a deal on the bull. In 4 months you sell into the spring market and make a good portion of the money back, even in a declining market spring is a good time to sell calves.

Son of Butch":2obhkaot said:
Average 5 yr old [4th calf] registered hereford cow with small calf at her side should be worth at least $2500.
The 7 yr old cow must have missed at least one calving cycle.
A see craigslist ads "sucker fishing" exposed commercial cow/calf pairs for $3500+
He was without a bull for a while, most of these cows they bought for his daughter to show and then kept them. I know they missed at least one breeding due to lack of bull.

Nesikep":3a1qd1t1 said:

I think if the cows are decent $2500 for a pair isn't bad.. offer $12K for the works gets you a deal on the bull. In 4 months you sell into the spring market and make a good portion of the money back, even in a declining market spring is a good time to sell calves.
Not got any pics right now, he wants $13,500 for the package. I think it is too high but will just pass, don't want to offer less because of his medical condition. He thinks he has more than he has, just because they got papers. In our area Hereford calves don't sell very good, but the baldies do. I would like to have one pair with a heifer calf. He thinks he can sell them off Craigslist as package, been 3 local people pass on them because of price.

tom4018":38iddiwz said:
Nesikep":38iddiwz said:

Not got any pics right now, he wants $13,500 for the package. I think it is too high but will just pass, don't want to offer less because of his medical condition. He thinks he has more than he has, just because they got papers. In our area Hereford calves don't sell very good, but the baldies do. I would like to have one pair with a heifer calf. He thinks he can sell them off Craigslist as package, been 3 local people pass on them because of price.

He is extremely proud of them.

.......Or he isn't aware what the market is doing currently. I'm with TT...wouldn't give more than 2K for a pair.

I'm shocked so many have spring bred heifers on craigslist for $2600+.

If those were here in South Texas, I'd be all over them. Some commercial Herefords, which had already weaned their first calf and were bred back to brahman bulls, went for $2600 last week. I am looking for a good set of Hereford cows.

Guy kept holding out and now his bull has injured himself. He wants $10,000 for just the pairs. I still think he is high for what pairs sell for here.

tom4018":gd5uib9k said:
Guy kept holding out and now his bull has injured himself. He wants $10,000 for just the pairs. I still think he is high for what pairs sell for here.

For the age of the calves at side, I wouldn't go a dime over $2k per pair. And that's only if they are just dandy pairs. I like to see money, make more money. Cancer can't be too bad if he is sky-high on price yet. If I was terminal, I would just be glad to see them go to a good home - care less about price.

Aaron":2py66r8d said:
tom4018":2py66r8d said:

For the age of the calves at side, I wouldn't go a dime over $2k per pair. And that's only if they are just dandy pairs. I like to see money, make more money. Cancer can't be too bad if he is sky-high on price yet. If I was terminal, I would just be glad to see them go to a good home - care less about price.
Unfortunately I believe he is terminal. He has quit all the chemo. Guess he is just trying to get all the money can for his wife and daughter.

Latest posts