What are the odds?

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Last Saturday the wife and I were out on the mule checking fences, etc and spotted two new born calves. They looked identical and sure enough the momma came up and both started nursing her. OK, I know that twins happen but not very often. Then on Sunday everybody came up to get a few cubes and holy cow, here's another pair of new borns. Didn't see who they belonged to but if they are twins the odds must be a bazillion to one to have two sets born in the same calving season. I've just got to figure out how to post pictures because nobody would believe this without the pics.

Well it does happen. About 15 years ago out of 26 cows I had 4 sets of twins and they all.made it through weaning and the sale. I didn't even have to bottle feed any of them.
Good luck with your sets of twins.

In 1965 my dad had a total of 9 Angus cows bred to a Hereford. He had to sets of big twins within 4 hours of each other! Dad lived to be 96 and always had cows. Those were the only 2 sets of twins he ever had born.

I have twins fairly regular. Lots of people don't like them but I don't mind them a bit because the cows always seem to take care of them and never had to bottle feed.

I only like twins when they are not in a heifer and they come out on their own or if I am there to intervene and it is just a simple twist or a quick pull by hand.

I had 3 sets of twins born in a row this year in the first 8 cows that calved, 2 more sets after that but not in a row. I usually average 3-4 sets a year. I think this is the year of the twins as one of my bull customers had 9 sets of twins so far of 82 cows.

I think in the media this year there have been many quads being reported this year as well.

There were a lot of fertile cows last year I guess.

Do you think its genetic or that the cows are just in good condition. Incidentally, the most twins I've had were with hereford bulls not saying that has anything to do with it just saying because hereford was mentioned.

Seems like I go in spells. Have a set or two every year for a while, and then none for a little while.

Jogeephus":3d8vb2nn said:
Do you think its genetic or that the cows are just in good condition. Incidentally, the most twins I've had were with hereford bulls not saying that has anything to do with it just saying because hereford was mentioned.

Genetics definitely do have a role in it Jo.

Inyeti just informed me that his next cow due just had a set of heifer twins. He is in the road on his way home, but I guess the guy that takes care of his cattle found the second set of twins... One dead one alive. I am sure he will update, but these two sets in a row are his first twins ever I think!

Jogeephus":3fm9teoe said:

I was wondering the same thing, Jo. If I'm not mistaken, the propensity for having twins in humans comes from the mothers side . In the case of my cattle, the only variable has been the neighbors bull, not the mommas.

mwj":znk7smpi said:
In 1965 my dad had a total of 9 Angus cows bred to a Hereford. He had to sets of big twins within 4 hours of each other! Dad lived to be 96 and always had cows. Those were the only 2 sets of twins he ever had born.
That is an amazing story. Did all four of them make it and/or did the cows(s) have enough milk?

hillsdown":13nr2upu said:
I only like twins when they are not in a heifer and they come out on their own or if I am there to intervene and it is just a simple twist or a quick pull by hand.

2 more sets after that but not in a row. I usually average 3-4 sets a year. I think this is the year of the twins as one of my bull customers had 9 sets of twins so far of 82 cows.

I think in the media this year there have been many quads being reported this year as well.

There were a lot of fertile cows last year I guess.

I had 3 sets of twins born in a row this year in the first 8 cows that calved,
the first 2 cows with twins calved at the same time and the 3rd one was later on that day.

All of them were alive and 2 are raising their own, and I grafted one twin onto a Holstein nurse cow. Mom forgot she had the first one after the second one came along.

hillsdown":13hfxjmx said:
Jogeephus":13hfxjmx said:

Genetics definitely do have a role in it Jo.

Lavacarancher":13hfxjmx said:
I was wondering the same thing, Jo. If I'm not mistaken, the propensity for having twins in humans comes from the mothers side .

Humans..I am a twin. I have twin sons. I have a daughter that was born a twin--(her sister was stillborn) I have twin cousins on father's side.
I have twin grandsons.

I had a registered black angus cow have twins Monday. One was born dead and the other one died the next day. I am not very happy about this. I bought her last May with her three month old registered calf. He has grown off really well. I cannot imagine what caused this. I may sell her in a few months.

Twins are nice when they work out, but they are high risk.
I haven't had twins in nearly 100 births now, or about 4 years.. last set was a pair of 110 lb bull calves from a huge cow, second one was stillborn, it was a breech birth and I didn't investigate until the next day (didn't figure on it with the size of the first one)
The year before that cow's sister had a pair of twins successfully..
a bunch of years before that 3 maternally related cows all had twins the same year (none since).. first one the cow died the next day (gave them to a neighbor), the second miscarried them at 7 months, and the 3rd only wanted one of them (orphan was adopted by the one that miscarried)

The cow that had twins last Mon. had a third calf last night. Found it dead this morning. I noticed that she stayed away from the herd a lot, but spent every afternoon last week at the hospital with my mother. My husband does not check the cows like I do. I knew the cow was big enough to have triplets, but surprised that this third one came that many days after the first two. Can anyone explain. She was A.I. Bred when I bought her and exposed to pasture bull.I bought her in late May and she was with my bull June 10 and 11. I wrote it down. I am puzzled.

Fire Sweep Ranch":33gpjc55 said:
Inyeti just informed me that his next cow due just had a set of heifer twins. He is in the road on his way home, but I guess the guy that takes care of his cattle found the second set of twins... One dead one alive. I am sure he will update, but these two sets in a row are his first twins ever I think!

Six cows and a heifer calved in March. Two of the last three to deliver had twins. Both calves lived in the first set of twins although the cow only accepted one and the other calf is doing well on a cow in Missouri. Of the second set of twins, one died and one is doing fine. The second cow to deliver has retained her placenta and I gave her lutalyse on Saturday. The first set was twin bulls. The second set was twin heifers.

I am content with how March went. I have two cows and a heifer remaining as spring calvers. The seven cows and heifer all calved unassisted. My cows came through the winter with extra condition so I am relieved that it went so well.

NOTE: On the issue of birth weights. I weighed the dead calf with a hanging scale I got during my trip to Fire Sweep Simmentals. It is a cheap hanging scale. Not sure how accurate. I got 75 pounds for the calf using bathroom scales and 70 pounds using the hanging scale.
1109l4o.jpg

Latest posts