What are the downsides to fall calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm thinking about sharing my bull with a friend who is about 15 miles from me. However, he has a larger herd and will only consider the arrangement if he can breed for spring calves. We both have cow/calf registered herds and sell primarily as breeding stock. At first this sounded fine to me, but I've been thinking lately that having fall calves would probably lead to me having to hold them from the fall at age 12 months until the spring, which means more hay to feed. Normally I'd be looking to sell at 12 months of age. I'm guessing the market for breeding stock won't be as strong in the fall? I'm new to this so I'm looking for any feedback good or bad on fall calving.

He is a friend and it would be my call. He would be doing me a favor by freeing up a space for another heifer/cow on my small acreage, plus he would be feeding him 9 months out of the year. It's good for him as he has an aging bull and my bull has great genetics and looks as a 24 month old.

The calves aren't eating much except mama's milk for the first few months anyway, then when they do start your spring grass is in. I'm on a fall calving program, I put my bull in n Dec 15th.

Its not the first few months I'm concerned with. Its the second winter at months 13-16 feeding hay when they would normally have been sold.

Most of my cows start calving around November 1, which works well for me for a variety of reasons, but it may not work for you. What's your location? If you're up north it may be difficult to get your cows through the winter in good shape with calves nursing on them.

Just updated my profile for location. Yes I'm in SW Michigan. Any northern fall calvers on here with advice to share?

TennesseeTuxedo":1l7ybqyu said:
M-5":1l7ybqyu said:
People do it both ways but I would be more concerned with a so called friend giving you terms on your bull. IMO your bull your call . or tell him to kiss your AZZ

I think I missed this chapter in Mr. Carnegie's book on How to Win Friends and Influence People.

It was in the forward

You'll feed a wet cow all winter.
I feel for the fall calvers this year. They usually enjoy the higher prices at the sale barn this time of year. They need the extra money because they've spent it on feeding the cows. But, this year was a first, prices down. Lower than the fall sales. If I were a fall calver, I would reconsider this year....although its probably too late.

cowgirl8":2ngqq1xh said:
You'll feed a wet cow all winter.
I feel for the fall calvers this year. They usually enjoy the higher prices at the sale barn this time of year. They need the extra money because they've spent it on feeding the cows. But, this year was a first, prices down. Lower than the fall sales. If I were a fall calver, I would reconsider this year....although its probably too late.

The prices are higher now than last October by about $40.00 per 100. I'm not able to follow what your saying.

M-5":3phb909a said:
People do it both ways but I would be more concerned with a so called friend giving you terms on your bull.
IMO your bull your call . or tell him to kiss your AZZ
Seems you'd be a hellva friend jumping to conclusions and snap judgments M-5 and starting quarrels where none
previously existed.

OP only wanted to know downside to fall calving and appears they offered their bull to increase their income.
The friend appears to have honestly (and most likely politely) answered the only way it would work for him.
OP appears to be the pursuer of the agreement not the friend, no reason to rip on their friend.

To answer OP question, I think they pretty much summed up the downfall of fall calving for themselves.

I do both. I live in upstate NY, so I also feed 6 months. You are going to have to feed the cows thru winter no matter what, but they will need a little extra. I don't grain them, but I keep them separate from the spring calving dry cows. They all get the same hay. You can wean in May and sell in spring/early summer. For me, it is a great market for show calves. Tougher to keep one a bull and market for me because I don't keep bulls around. They get sold prior to or shortly after weaning or get cut. You could breed for 30 days for spring calving, before your friend, then clean up the rest for fall.

Son of Butch":on1uka9h said:
M-5":on1uka9h said:
People do it both ways but I would be more concerned with a so called friend giving you terms on your bull.
Seems you'd be a hellva friend jumping to conclusions and snap judgments M-5 and starting quarrels where none
previously existed.

OP only wanted to know downside to fall calving and appears they offered their bull to increase their income.
The friend appears to have honestly (and most likely politely) answered the only way it would work for him.
OP appears to be the pursuer of the agreement not the friend, no reason to rip on their friend.

To answer OP question, I think they pretty much summed up the downfall of fall calving for themselves.

one of my best friends is True Grit and we get along great .

TennesseeTuxedo":2hsju1rv said:
M-5":2hsju1rv said:
I think I missed this chapter in Mr. Carnegie's book on How to Win Friends and Influence People.
:)

A good book on success by listening and learning to understand what motivates other people in your life.

M-5":5a9ey58v said:
M-5":5a9ey58v said:
one of my best friends is True Grit and we get along great .
Just saying awfully harsh judgment (advising them to tell Their Friend to kiss off in CAPITAL letters) without first
knowing the facts of the matter. I was not saying you don't have any friends.

SOB, he said that his friend would only consider the arrangement if he could have spring calves. I only made an observation and a comment that It was his bull and he should make the rules. That's how It is supposed to work . He asked about fall calves because of his reservation on this deal. I hate to see folks that get taken advantage of.

NonTypicalCPA":3llnv6dn said:
Just updated my profile for location. Yes I'm in SW Michigan. Any northern fall calvers on here with advice to share?
I'm in NW WI. We have spring and fall calving herds. The falls calve in Sept & Oct. The trick for us seems to be making sure the calves and cows get a chance to get good grass before the fall/winter sets in. I want the calves to be a couple months old and a couple hundred pounds before snow flies. You do not want them dropping the calves in that first big snow if you can avoid it. If they calve in the snow, why not wait until March. Just remember to pasture where calves can get shelter if need be (we have a grove of pines that serve this purpose and is suffice) and meet the nutritional demands of a milking cow through the rough season. For northerners, a fall calving season can be a cost-effective, low-input scenario if done right.

NonTypicalCPA":108anvws said:
.... he has a larger herd and will only consider the arrangement if....
This tells me CPA approached his friend.... and the friend replied with what would work for him.

CPA's friend has always done spring calving because he sells registered breeding stock and he has no interest in using
the bull... unless of course his friend CPA was planning on changing to fall calving.
That doesn't make his friend a bad guy. Just 2 good friends discussing options.

Latest posts