What are the chances.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Shantilly

Reaction score
of a city girl with barely any knowledge getting a job as a helper on a farm/ranch in Florida.. would love to relocate, but two things prevent that.. my son would NEVER forgive me for moving him away from his first girlfriend .. and I'm still researching the character for my book :) A friend from New Zealand suggested this to me yesterday. I told him no chance in hell ... of course he replied, "why the hell not?" So here I am asking opinions on this.. I'm not allergic to hard work. An honest days pay get an honest days work from me :) actually the pay doesn't have to be all that honest.. I still take pride in the work I am given, even if its shoveling manure... * I worked retail so I know about dishonest pay* But still did my best :) thanks for any advice/comments on this and I will let my friend know what is said .. super big hugs to all .. :cowboy:

I have been required to do 2-3 other jobs on top of my own for the pay of a single worker.. when i first returned to Florida I got a job at KMart as asst manager of sporting goods.. they also wanted me to work in housewares and toys plus work a register up front. I walked out. sorry 1st and only time in my life I have EVER done that.. But my manager was getting on my back about the work I had to get done in our dept while the other manager was ordering me around the rest of the store. I told them to call me when THEY figure out what exactly my job is. That was in 05, I'm still waiting for the phone call lol .. I have been working since I was 9 yrs old.. no job I wont do.. :)

Like I have always been told, and said " where there is a will there is a way". Now, that being said.. there also has to be a job like that where someone would want to "take a chance" on you. Do you have an idea of a place to go work a job like that?

not here in florida... sure I could find something in Texas if i could relocate.. i have friends out there..but as i said..relocating cant happen right now.. one day for sure though.. only because the public school system here sucks :(

Shantilly":3ohbx14q said:
I have been required to do 2-3 other jobs on top of my own for the pay of a single worker.. when i first returned to Florida I got a job at KMart as asst manager of sporting goods.. they also wanted me to work in housewares and toys plus work a register up front. I walked out. sorry 1st and only time in my life I have EVER done that.. But my manager was getting on my back about the work I had to get done in our dept while the other manager was ordering me around the rest of the store. I told them to call me when THEY figure out what exactly my job is. That was in 05, I'm still waiting for the phone call lol .. I have been working since I was 9 yrs old.. no job I wont do.. :)

:shock: you might have a bit of a hard time working as a ranch hand if doing a job that doesn't exactly fit your job description doesn't suit you. You were still getting paid weren't you? It not as if you were asked to do a job and not get paid. When I was a day worker hired to work cattle, I had to haul irrigation pipe and set it up in the rain. I'll never forget bumping across the hay meadows in the truck thinking that my boss was crazy.

BTW, I am a 60 year old grey haired mom of 5 and grandmother of 2. Grew up in the big city of Houston and became a ranch hand at 26. I have worked in department stores, book stores, a large animal vet clinic, the zoo shoveling exotic poop and for a seamtress as a youth. I rode my bicycle to that job.

Shantilly":j9ku16lc said:

Chippie beat me to it. Thats exactly what farm work is like. Doing the work of multiple people for the pay of one.

i have no problem with multi-tasking.. but when u have 2-3 people telling u to get this job or that one done first and then another comes up and tells u to go do something else.. that i cant handle.. u want stuff done? give me the list and let me go.. i will not only do all the jobs but will get them done right the first time.. and i am also great prioritizing the work as well. :) i can work solo or in group as long as said group have common sense for the most part lol ...i am a mom of 5 myself no grandkids.. big hugs to you :)

Got to take up for Shantilly. Work is one thing, but having too many bosses is another thing.
It is easy to do your best but end up being a pawn in a power struggle between two bosses.
Even one boss giving conflicting and impossible directions is way too much.

Thanks Ryder :) big hugs.. too many cooks spoil the stew.... i may have been born in the city..but i worked a lot.. mowing yards weeding .. ugh the worst was picking grass out from in between the bricks on my moms patio because she didnt want to use cement, raking pine needles, worked the local flea market and delivered news papers.. collected coke bottles to turn in .. anyway i could find to earn an honest dollar i did it.. :) i enjoy working with my hands.. blisters n callouses are no big deal for me.. bout time i put some more scars on these hands from hard work.. but once again the winds of change are upon me... family crisis with my youngest have redirected my life for the moment.. and from what I have learned between here and some people I have talked to in person.. ranchers and cowboys and crackers her in Florida are NOT anything like the people I met in Texas.. I think the way of life here has warped peoples brains... everyone is a fake or a troll or after something more than what meets the eye.. so much b/s,, i dont blame them ..don't get me wrong on that... but friendly folks are few and far between for a city girl like me... the people in Texas aren't cynics... at least not the ones I met.. I was lucky I guess. Lived there 7 of my 45 yrs and the rest here in Florida.. had better experiences there in that short time than i ever did here... Think its about time to move on...

No need to move on. Your remark about your job just struck me wrong because there have been times when I would have been grateful to have a job regardless of what it was. You seemed to be very cavalier about it. I've thrown papers and picked pecans to be able to eat. Grateful that we have what we do through hard work and sacrifice.

Yup.. I've never wanted a whole lot in life.. just a good place to live to raise my kids up right and have enough to pay my bills and mayb a little extra for a movie or something with the kids. But even that seems like wanting to much.. would love to win the lottery..but not sure what i'd do with the rest of the money once i bought me a small ranch for some horses and few head of cattle.. fix up my old ugly truck... i wanted to build a homeless shelter for people like me. My kids n I were homeless for 3 months in Texas. We were "clients" of the Salvation Army. worst time of my life in way and a huge blessing in other ways. I was treated like a criminal when my only crime was being homeless.. i wasn't just out of rehab or jail.. life just turned around the wrong way. I do not donate my hard earned money to them though.. I saw first hand what happens with the donations to the centers.. The Womans Auxillary is different.. but the main place.. nope.. anyway I figured I wasn't alone.. quit a few people/families were displaced and were like me.. one family lost there house in a fire.. they had to separate the males from females.. so the family lost there home n then got split up because of gender.. not right.. my shelter would provide cottages for families and help them get back on their feet :) Nothing is given to them.. they would earn their keep by getting a job and saving the money to get back on their own.. But I wont allow recently released inmates or rehabbers.. they can go to the sally..

Latest posts