What and Where is Winning?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
What breed and cross has been winning in the shows around the country such as local 4-H/FFA to Houston/San Antonio Livestock Shows?Talking about the Steers.Think the cross would beat the pure breed hands down.I have never seen anyone just try to market "show steers" as their main product for sale,selling steers to be used for fat stock shows.I had a Res. Champ Hereford X Char and Blue Ribbon Brahma X Char. When I was in FFA.We would just pick out a cross bred calf out of some rancher's pasture.Back then it had to be around 350lbs starting weight,900lbs max at finish weight.Is that still the same today?

Google showsteers.com and Bonham show cattle. There are many Steer Jockies or Steer brokers out there. This is their only business. Then their are some commercial breeders who mainly breed for show steers. Look up the club calf sires in Bovine elite or top Sires. It will give you some good ideas about which composites most prefer. I personally like Angus crossed with maine, chi or simi. But that is a preference. Many of these guys use a sampleing of all breeds (inculding American)

avalon had good advice. In addition, start weights are 600-700 lbs and finish weights are around 1300 lbs now.
It takes an awesome breed steer to beat or even be considered over a crossbred anymore. Trust me I know ;-)

black angus steers dominate my local county show. if the steer is not black or a black baldy he doesnt have much chance. at preshow they weigh around 750-800 and finish at about 1250-1300.

Five years ago I sold a junior a calf that was the reserve champ american breeds steer at Houston. He was a Brahman / Limousin / Simmental cross. Crossbreds will almost always beat a straight bred

lautner farms is the leading broker for semen that produces clubbies.

heatwave is the most popular sire now a days

Miss Daisy, I would venture to guess that those black steers are not Angus but a Main-Simmental-Angus cross of some percentage. Most black show calves are not all Angus.
If the calves have any width to their hind quarters their not full blood Angus.

VCC":i211sra6 said:
Miss Daisy, I would venture to guess that those black steers are not Angus but a Main-Simmental-Angus cross of some percentage. Most black show calves are not all Angus.

HAHA! Especially with some of the genetics and the carcass chasers. It doesn't work for club calves.

BTW Welcome VCC

I won my county with a reg. Angus..btw not hard in my county b/c its not competitive. My steer won twice at the spring jackpot shows but alot of Chi X won and did really good. We don't have breed classes for steers so it's everything together.

VCC":48efsn3m said:

many of the top steers are angus with low to no percentages of other breeds. the kids buy them from local breeders. the black baldies obviously are not angus but angus is still the most popular. keep in mind this is a small county show, not a major show

Latest posts