What a problem to have!

Help Support CattleToday:

LimoX

Reaction score
Left the house this morning to go to work. A little snow after a long day of rain and snow last night. Anyways checked the heifers and cows that are due to calf and everything was fine. No signs of any problems with the ones born or the cows that were due to calve. Anyways, I'm at work and my in-law who has been farming and ranching for close to 70 yrs calls me at work and says mail lady had come by and said one of the heifers was in labor and looked like she was struggling. No big deal leave work go home and assist in-law. The kicker is as while my in-law and I was trying to make it the their to help out the heifer the mail lady calls and says the buzzards are already starting to poke at the heifer and the calf WHILE SHE IS IN THE PROCESS OF LABOR had torn part of the end of the calves tongue! Calve was half way out and the heifer went ahead and had the calf but is struggling to get back up and walk (although she has moved a couple of times and is now about 100yds from where she had the calf. The problem is she spent most of her time running off the DAMN Buzzards that the calf never got licked or cleaned up and by the time she could do it she could barely walk. Watched her for another hour or so and we had to take the calf home so we could get the calf dried off in hopes that we can take it back and Momma can get back on her feet so the calf can suckle. I GUESS IT IS OPEN SEASON ON THE BLACK HEADED BUZZARDS! :mad:

They're really getting bad about that in a lot of places. Something that used to never happen. Shoot them and keep quiet about it. I understand some of them are "protected".

I know some wild animals are protected, BUT Our cattle are protected too!!! Hope things turn out ok for the heifer and calf.
Jenna

Herefords.US":gek5j9zt said:
They're really getting bad about that in a lot of places. Something that used to never happen. Shoot them and keep quiet about it. I understand some of them are "protected".
All of them (birds of prey) are protected. Though, I thought I had heard about possible exemptions because of the damage they can cause. But I could be wrong, I'd just SSS.

Shoot them and tell the neighbors to shoot them. If some one wants to protect them they need to put them in a cage where they can't bother my stock.

Personally I believe that Mexican black vulture needs to removed from the protected status and placed them in pest status. They are not biologically endangered species anyways, just like the grey wolves.

We are having the same problem. It was on the ballot in November to create provisions for killing them to protect livestock. It passed with almost 70% approval. Not sure how that will work as it is a federal statue that protects vultures. But I know the KY Farm Bureau spearheaded it. I voted for it but I already got my approval. It has .270 Winchester stamped on the side of the chamber.

I have heard the same thing about them pecking at the calf before it hits the ground. Yes, the nature of life is cruel but that works both ways. I got them off a couple of my calves this fall.

This has been the worst year for buzzards, hopefully next year will be better. Most of the time the buzzards will peck the calves eyes out. Lost one calf myself this year to them dang things.

Well, got home after work and in-law had calf in shop next to stove. All dried off and standing. You want to talk about a funny sight watching a 73 yr old try to keep the calf corralled! Calf had about a 1/2" cut across the front of its tongue where they had torn it out. Was able to get the calf to drink about 2/3rd of a bottle of colostrum. Heifer still not able to stand up for very long time. Looks like she'll get over it in time but probably not in time to have her accept it but only time will tell! As far as the buzzards! I don't know what you guys are talking about! What buzzards? wink-wink :roll:

Did you give the heifer a shot of dex? I'll have to look at the bottle for the full name.
Did you say it was black head buzzards? I've seen several buzzards around here since last fall and it sounds like there should be an open season on them.

Oi.
I'm sorry for your troubles and sorry that you have buzzards to look out for. I'm glad that is a predator I don't have to deal with.
Many in our area have coyotes for an issue. Vet has warned that they have been getting so bold as they also will eat/take calves while they are being born too. :(
Last year my brother-in-law's brother lost all traces of a calf due to the nasty things.
Hope not too many out there have too much to watch out for... tho I'm not foolish enough to believe we are the only ones with coyote problems.

Well calf is going to make it, going to be a bottle calf as mom is having troubles getting up on the back right leg. Gave her some Dex an will see how it goes with her. Looks like in time she will be fine. I guess every once in a while you get a little unlucky with a calf, we don't weigh our calves but, this young fella would be pushing the 95-100 lb range. So much for the low birth weight bull, I guess every once in a while they'll throw a big one! All the rest have been tiny and have had no problems. Oh well, as my in-law says IT IS WHAT IT IS! And as for the BUZZARDS! What buzzards?

Had a heifer that would not take her calf. After putting her in a squeeze chute 3 times a day so the calf could feed. Mom still wouldn't take her after a week. Sold them yesterday and got $255.00 for the calf, and almost $1200.00 for the heifer. Probably should of sold them as a pair, but I just didn't feel right doing that.

Driving home from the farm yesterday, I saw a cow standing alone in the corner of a fenced field. On the fence posts were perched several black vultures. Several stood on the ground around the lone cow. About 5 of them were only 5 to 6 feet from her. One was a foot from her hind legs. It was an eerie sight.

Thursday Had 6 watching a cow from 20 yards or less. Cow starting labor small water bag (softball -size) present. Calf born half hour later. They made fly over right after birth. See them more on calving days. Them things are smart they pick out labor starting quickly. I've been watching them as close as the c /c some days. One seems to be missing some tail feathers.

we have never had any bird problems with the cows... We have a pair of resident ravens and they'll go around looking for afterbirth, but are well behaved otherwise and don't bother the calves (it's the other way around actually). I know what I'd do if I had buzzards though....

Latest posts