What a difference a week makes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Last week we were palpating the sale pen and it was 22 degree with a wind blowing that made it feel like 10 degree. Yesterday we got the same group clipped and it was 79 degrees.7A51137D-A5E4-40D7-B79B-B323798340E4.jpeg29C40C58-4860-4D41-85FA-768AC0DCE8CD.jpegpictures and videos will be done in the next couple weeks the Maternal Gems Sale is May 8th.

I'd say the cattle didn't care for that weather last week. I'm sure y'all didn't either. That's a big temperature swing. Nice working setup. How do y'all like the Arrowquip chute? I've never worked with one, but they look nice from what I've seen.

40's and 50's during the day and 30's at night here and the ground is drying up fairly nicely. Wonderful change from a week ago.

Still not calving in the spring ever again though.

I'd say the cattle didn't care for that weather last week. I'm sure y'all didn't either. That's a big temperature swing. Nice working setup. How do y'all like the Arrowquip chute? I've never worked with one, but they look nice from what I've seen.
This was the third time using it and so far we love it. The head operation is taking some getting use to we have used a Foremost for years and your right up at the head, this one you can operate from anywhere so if your working alone you can open the back gate and work the head gate from that position. The learning curve is learning when to close the head gate from the different location. I know I am not explaining it well but it is just different and were old lol. As far as access it is great you can do anything you want with ease. So far we feel we made a great choice with this unit. Oh the guys doing the clipping did work up a sweat all I did was take pictures. The boss was gone he hauled a donor to Fort Payne to have her flushed so he was on the road (the flush was a bust again I am just going to have to accept that the cow is done, but dang I love that cow.) We had 22 head to clip so hired it done this year and it was the right decision they guys got started about 1:00 and had them finished by evening. It would have taken the boss and I two weeks to get them all done. We are slow old and hate to clip!

Last edited:
This was the third time using it and so far we love it. The head operation is taking some getting use to we have used a Foremost for years and your right up at the head, this one you can operate from anywhere so if your working alone you can open the back gate and work the head gate from that position. The learning curve is learning when to close the head gate from the different location. I know I am not explaining it well but it is just different and were old lol. As far as access it is great you can do anything you want with ease. So far we feel we made a great choice with this unit. Oh the guys doing the clipping did work up a sweat all I did was take pictures. The boss was gone he hauled a donor to Fort Payne to have her flushed so he was on the road (the flush was a bust again I am just going to have to accept that the cow is done, but dang I love that cow.) We had 22 head to clip so hired it done this year and it was the right decision they guys got started about 1:00 and had them finished by evening. It would have taken the boss and I two weeks to get them all done. We are slow old and hate to clip!
I'm glad that y'all are liking it so far. That would be nice to be able to operate the head gate from the back if needed. Hopefully it will be a good unit for y'all for a long time. Sorry the flush was a bust. It seems like many times bad stuff happens to the ones you like the most.

Gizmom,
If you had it to do over again would you get the bigger chute (8700?) or are you 100% happy with the cheaper version? The reason I am asking is we were told to buy the more expensive one if we buy a new one.. I want to buy one just like yours..

great Cows and good weather sure helps the mind..

Gizmom,
If you had it to do over again would you get the bigger chute (8700?) or are you 100% happy with the cheaper version? The reason I am asking is we were told to buy the more expensive one if we buy a new one.. I want to buy one just like yours..

great Cows and good weather sure helps the
The difference between the 7300 and the 8700 is not size they are the same size. The difference is the squeeze in the 7300 the palpation gate doesn't squeeze in the 8700 the entire chute including palpation squeezes in addition the floor is rubberized and it has a second row of stops. We just didn't feel we could justify the price difference for those items. We have only used it three times but the answer is YES we would sure do it again it is a joy to work with.
They did have a smaller chute but it didn't have the palpation gate or the attachment to secure the head from knocking you around and we wanted that feature

Got a call today from the sale manager he will be coming over next week to get a few photos for the sale catalog. While I was going through cattle today I grabbed a few shots of them on my phone.9146C52E-94B0-43DE-874D-C582B181F232.jpegThis is the clean up bull we used on the sale group he is a SAV Raindance son out of our SAV Blackbird 9057 donor.
D5370171-9286-4E22-89A6-60DD847E9262.jpeg
This is our granddaughter's first sale consignment. The cow is out of a cow we gave her when she was 18 months old. The female is a Resource daughter the bull calf at side is out of our Regard son and our SAV Abigale donor. This cow has a picture perfect udder.

BCF7E418-E902-467A-B07D-9EEEB7F3E4B1.jpeg
C66 is just a beast of a cow deep wide and soggy, she has a bull calf at side by Renown that is going to make a herd bull.

8EF7DA78-D442-4F3E-A108-3F3B796A10BC.jpeg
A young cow with her 2 nd calf at side and the calf is a super nice heifer. I took some others of the bred heifers but they were walking away so not very good ones. Hopefully we will get some to do them justice next week. The heifers are all pretty sporty.

Very nice cattle! Wow!

I agree. Would definitely spend the money on another arrowquip if I was buying again. Best chute I've ever worked with or owned. Debating on the clipping bar they now offer (released after we purchased our chute) but looks like you guys did just fine without one.

A.J. I think they preferred the cold they got hot standing on the hill waiting their turn. The hotter they get the harder they are to work. We didn't have one act up when it was so cold and I'm talking in the alley they just stood there when it got hot the same ones were fighting the alley.

Got a call today from the sale manager he will be coming over next week to get a few photos for the sale catalog. While I was going through cattle today I grabbed a few shots of them on my phone.View attachment 2779This is the clean up bull we used on the sale group he is a SAV Raindance son out of our SAV Blackbird 9057 donor.
View attachment 2780
This is our granddaughter's first sale consignment. The cow is out of a cow we gave her when she was 18 months old. The female is a Resource daughter the bull calf at side is out of our Regard son and our SAV Abigale donor. This cow has a picture perfect udder.

View attachment 2781
C66 is just a beast of a cow deep wide and soggy, she has a bull calf at side by Renown that is going to make a herd bull.

View attachment 2782
A young cow with her 2 nd calf at side and the calf is a super nice heifer. I took some others of the bred heifers but they were walking away so not very good ones. Hopefully we will get some to do them justice next week. The heifers are all pretty sporty.
That heifer calf in the bottom picture is sweet looking. Both of them in that bottom pic really caught my eye.. Pedigree?

That heifer calf in the bottom picture is sweet looking. Both of them in that bottom pic really caught my eye.. Pedigree?
good eye Scott she is going to make a really nice cow.
97CF66DE-59B5-43EE-BA46-C25D635DE26B.png
The heifer at side is a Rainfall this is her second calf the first was a bull that made the bull pen we don't keep many bulls out of first calf heifers so she did a really good job with him.