What a day

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We are in the middle of calving right now, and I knew I had one close last night. She has been slimming for days, and really cut lose last night with the junk.

Had my dughter check her when she got home from school, and we have a new heifer calf! Side note, this is Cookie, who was 4 in May, and this is her 4th calf. She breeds back early, AI each time. This is a Cowboy Cut calf, we have a nice chrome heifer my daughter showed this year out of Declaration. She has had an Uno Mas bull, Pays to Dream bull, Declaration and now this Cowboy Cut.

Then this... ugh. This cow was 283 days today, with an embryo implant. The embryo was purchased from the Circle M dispersale sale, and is a Wheelman x Crocus. I came home to find the cow licking a calf that had already stood and sucked (obviously my daughter missed it). When I walked around to the back of the cow, there was a set of feet hanging out. Remember, this was an embryo... twins are very unusual. I fished around, and the head of the calf was behind the pelvis and out of reach. I know when I can not get the calf right, so a call to the vet who was just in the next town over. He got there in less than 30 minutes, and took him about 15 minutes to get the calf right and get it out, but it was dead.

I will weight them tomorrow, but I bet both are 70 pounds at least, closer to 75.

If you look close at that picture, you can see the live twin laying in the grass behind the dead one.
So three calves, two alive. I guess I should feel lucky we got a live twin, but I am just bummed at loosing one. We have put in lots of embryos, and only had one other set split and they ended up dead. It is not something we ever expect....

Sounds like you did well. You lost one of the twins but she still has a nice embryo calf on her.

Cookie's Cowboy will be nice I bet!

Yes - it is rare that embryos split - but, out of the same flush, I had set of twin heifers in the spring and another set in the fall. 4 full sibling heifers!!! Bonus
So are yours bulls or heifers?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes - it is rare that embryos split - but, out of the same flush, I had set of twin heifers in the spring and another set in the fall. 4 full sibling heifers!!! Bonus
So are yours bulls or heifers?

Heifers. We weighed the dead one, 61 pounds. I'll get the live one this morning, but she is as big. That is a lot of calf for one cow. Funny thing is, when the vet arrived, the first thing he asked was the sex of the live twin. Then he made a joke about the second one better be a heifer too, or someone was in trouble (as he was working on getting the second one out). I have wondered how many times two eggs are accidently drawn into the straw prior to freezing without realizing it.
I looked at the flush paperwork, that egg was a 6-2. Unusual to freeze one at that stage, I like to get 5, or even a 4 stage. I bought that set of embryos, advertised as conventional, but when they arrived they were IVF. That frustrates me, since I tend to avoid IVF because they are hit and miss for conception. This was the only embryo I have put in from that flush, but I hope to get more in. I like the Wheelman sired calves.

Latest posts