WeSuck won't pay for lunch if it's employees order meat.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
https://therealdeal.com/2018/07/14/wewo ... ny-policy/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/na ... 785409002/

If WeWork employees want a burger while on business, the money is coming out of their own pockets. The global workplace startup told employees this week that the company will ban employees from expensing meals that contain red meat, pork or poultry, Bloomberg reported.

The company won't provide meat for events at its 400 locations, either — part of an effort to reduce its environmental footprint.

"New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact, even more than switching to a hybrid car," WeWork co-founder Miguel McKelvey said in an email to staffers.

The no-meat policy will also affect self-serve food kiosks at many of WeWork's 400 locations worldwide, according to Bloomberg. Employees wanting "medical or religious" exceptions can hash those out with a company policy team.

WeWork boasts 6,000 employees worldwide, according to Bloomberg. The company estimates its no-meat policy will save 15,507,103 animals by 2023, according to Business Insider, along with 16.6 billion gallons of water and 445.1 million pounds of carbon dioxide, the heat-trapping gas that alters Earth's climate.

WeWork confirmed the policy change to both news outlets. WeWork is perhaps the most well-known company to emerge offering co-working spaces to freelancers, small businesses and even employees of large companies such as Microsoft. The Motley Fool named it one of the top five most valuable startups in America.

It's going to save 15 million animals, 15 million carbon producing animals that would be dead and not producing carbon if they were still serving meat.

kenny thomas":125rdcvg said:
I'm sure with 6,000 employees worldwide eating 1 meal a day at work it's not gonna make a blimp on the screen.
Probably not, but precedence is a more significant worry.
What if GM does the same regarding it's 25,000 white collar workers or the Govt does it regarding all it's people that have expense accounts and it is forced upon all it's contractor companies as well?

(actually, I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up in a court somewhere..discrimination against meat eaters?)

greybeard":1nr2c8vc said:
kenny thomas":1nr2c8vc said:
I'm sure with 6,000 employees worldwide eating 1 meal a day at work it's not gonna make a blimp on the screen.
Probably not, but precedence is a more significant worry.
What if GM does the same regarding it's 25,000 white collar workers or the Govt does it regarding all it's people that have expense accounts and it is forced upon all it's contractor companies as well?

(actually, I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up in a court somewhere..discrimination against meat eaters?)
Good point, we are having an agency wide meeting this week so I will see if we are served meat.

There is exactly as much water on the planet today as there was when the crusaders were fighting in the desert.

In fact the very water you drink today could have been pyzzed out on the ground by those living ten thousand years ago.

Literally everything eats something to live and literally everything dies eventually.

As for Co2 - of you want to make a difference plant a tree. My BiL was in charge of planting more than 4 million last year alone. The more Co2, the better they grow. The more they grow the more oxygen.

Far too many idiots out there today.

Oh well, China and other countries are building more coal plants - so it will all even out in the end.

jehosofat":2rkp272q said:
The world continues to go nucking futs.

:nod:
15,507,103 animals saved by policy
6000 employees
1 meal per day

15,507,103/6000=2585 animals per person over the course of 5 years (2023)

2585/5= 517 animals saved per year, per person.

Average person working public job works 240 days per year.

517/240=2.15 animals per person,per day. Actually per meal since the employees are only eating lunch at work.

So this policy will supposedly save 2.15 animals per person per meal. What kind of animal are we talking about? Shrimp. Crabs? Certainly not chickens, hogs, or cows. I believe it's directed towards agriculture. But it's extremely misleading. How many people read this crap and just assume it's correct? :bs:

callmefence":3bbt5atn said:
I certainly don't agree with their idea of what lunch consist of. But it's their outfit and their dime. Anybody who has a problem with it can go elsewhere.
I would not knowingly buy, use or support in any way, a company with this type of crap they try to force down people's throats

Txpiney":2hcha92i said:
callmefence":2hcha92i said:
I certainly don't agree with their idea of what lunch consist of. But it's their outfit and their dime. Anybody who has a problem with it can go elsewhere.
I would not knowingly buy, use or support in any way, a company with this type of crap they try to force down people's throats

Like a said I'm meat eater in a big way.
But I also believe in right to run your house and property the way you please.
Weather I agree with it or not. And anyone who wants to protest what a business buys it's employees for lunch might as well put on their blue hat.... because that's exactly the kind of mindset you have.

callmefence":3bus69qt said:
Txpiney":3bus69qt said:
callmefence":3bus69qt said:

Weather I agree with it or not. And anyone who wants to protest what a business buys it's employees for lunch might as well put on their blue hat.... because that's exactly the kind of mindset you have.
Keep heading down this road and it won't be long before one give up more liberties than one bargained for.
So for now it's only giving up your choice of what to eat on company time. So what's to stop them from telling you what vehicle you can park in their parking lot? To further shrink your environmental impact, how about controlling your commute? I suppose since the company already feeds you, why not provide a loft at your place of work? Oh,oh,oh,they can control the thermostat then too. Have the water shut off in the shower after a minute. The media you are subject to would be what the company allows.....and just why do you need to leave the building if it's not for company business. You need to stay put because their is evil outside the door just waiting to knock the door in. Stay inside, be safe in our way, we will give you everything we think you need.....

1982vett":30zewdy7 said:
callmefence":30zewdy7 said:
Txpiney":30zewdy7 said:

Keep heading down this road and it won't be long before one give up more liberties than one bargained for.
So for now it's only giving up your choice of what to eat on company time. So what's to stop them from telling you what vehicle you can park in their parking lot? To further shrink your environmental impact, how about controlling your commute? I suppose since the company already feeds you, why not provide a loft at your place of work? Oh,oh,oh,they can control the thermostat then too. Have the water shut off in the shower after a minute. The media you are subject to would be what the company allows.....and just why do you need to leave the building if it's not for company business. You need to stay put because their is evil outside the door just waiting to knock the door in. Stay inside, be safe in our way, we will give you everything we think you need.....

That's exactly right Vette. Except you can eat what you want. They will just pay for certain things. Their money their property their right. Some folks will bytch and cry when they should be killing beavers..wink... some will buy their own dam lunch and eat whatever they please.

Only job I ever had where I got free lunch was when I was working in a state prison. I could eat free in the lunchroom with the inmates. I'm here to say prison food not too good. The lunchroom along with the rec yard was the most likely place for a riot to break out.

What these people don't understand is that these animals won't be "saved." I can't afford to just keep them around as pets, and I'm super small time. The big guys that own hundreds, and thousands of head are going to mass kill their herds b/c they will never be able to afford to feed them. So, these animals they "save" are still going to end up dead.

Before I retired the county started making everyone eat at restaurants that used point of sale printed receipts that showed what you ate before they'd reimburse us. One of the problems for my group is we ate at a lot of out of the way places that weren't up to speed on those POS systems and used the old style green tickets with the tear off stubs. Seems my county was afraid they might buy us a beer. :lol:

Latest posts