Reaction score
went to see my 'local' Gelbvieh breeder.. Has a couple bull calves there I like

This guy puffed himself up and postured as we came along
20181009_094025.jpg

not the greatest pic of this one

I kinda like this one I think

a tan heifer I might bring home

It's a really docile herd, doesn't look like there are any freak shows in it

He'll be getting rid of this 15 year old cow.. Wondering if I might do well keeping her a year or two for some nice calves... Offer the high end of what cull cows go for, she's due to calf in January, prices for cows are usually good in August if I decide to ship her after. I have a little bit more old-cow-friendly land.

Gators Rule":3sircmb6 said:
I like the first bull the best but would be wary of that attitude. I like the heifer and old cow as well
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.. though my bull sometimes puffs himself up, hangs his tongue out and grunts, he's always been cool.. just begging for attention.. I'd have to be around them a little more to evaluate what THAT bull means by it... The whole bunch of them were all curious and came to see what was going on.. I've been going there for a couple years and they've always been like that.

While talking to the fellow he said exactly what I've said a few times.. you ain't gonna make a whole lot of money in this business, might as well have cows you enjoy looking at and being around... Considering his cows go out on range and probably don't get a lot of human interaction during the summer is something I think speaks to their genetic docility.

I like the first bull and both females. The old cow will likely raise you some good ones whether heifers or bulls.

I have a red bull that always postures up, but he's probably my quietest bull

15czxja.jpg

I'd prob choose the 3rd bull pictured.

I'm kinda torn between the first and last of the two bulls pictured.. the last one really has a nice stance to him, the first looks like he's got the most masculine features for his age though.. There were other good looking bulls there that I just didn't have time to get good pictures of, Fellow had a doctors appointment to get to.. I'd take a closer look at all of them again before making a final decision.. I do like that heifer as well.

That posture means ZERO. HeII everyone of my cows exhibit that instinctual behavior.

Surely, Effrem, you know that. You are around cows. If I haven't seen a cow for a couple days, they exhibit that identical display. Just walk up and they roll their eyes for a tail scratch.

I like the first one.

Supa Dexta":jesnfk9i said:
I have a red bull that always postures up, but he's probably my quietest bull

15czxja.jpg

I'd prob choose the 3rd bull pictured.

I'm with you. The third bull looks identical to my Gelbvieh herd bull at a year or so. Love him. He puffs up and grunts, BUT all he wants is hand fed. Great bull. First bull looks good also. Either way you go on them will be good. And Dexta... Love the red bull. Great length and muscle. Thanks for sharing.

None of the animals there looked mean or scared.. I think he was begging for attention as well

Dexta, I'm sure your bull and mine could have a fight for a few hours! Probably be a helluva show.. I like your boy as well! How old is he?

Mine as of last week

He'll be 4 next spring, Klondike123 bull, which goes back to beef maker. Trying to make some nice red females with him. This is an embryo cow with hummer 468 on her side and the resulting red calf.

20181013-062852.jpg

So I went through the pics and found the tag numbers and cross referenced them with the spreadsheet they gave me with the info on each one.. I think I'll push for getting this guy

833F, born Jan 15th, 89 lbs, weight on Sept 27th was 946 lbs
20181009_094025.jpg

839F, Jan 25th, 98 lbs, .... 812lbs
20181009_094123_HDR.jpg
834F, Jan 17, 90 lbs, .... 829 lbs

All 3 of them, and I think the heifer too are sired by this guy
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV161408
Looks like he has really good BW, CED, and CEM.. I kinda wish he was more than 83% Gelbvieh but oh well, it's certainly not a dealbreaker there...

Here's the dam of the first one.. looks a lot like the bull
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV156199

Nesikep":nuvshnpi said:
So I went through the pics and found the tag numbers and cross referenced them with the spreadsheet they gave me with the info on each one.. I think I'll push for getting this guy

833F, born Jan 15th, 89 lbs, weight on Sept 27th was 946 lbs
20181009_094025.jpg

839F, Jan 25th, 98 lbs, .... 812lbs
20181009_094123_HDR.jpg
834F, Jan 17, 90 lbs, .... 829 lbs

All 3 of them, and I think the heifer too are sired by this guy
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV161408
Looks like he has really good BW, CED, and CEM.. I kinda wish he was more than 83% Gelbvieh but oh well, it's certainly not a dealbreaker there...

Here's the dam of the first one.. looks a lot like the bull
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV156199

I still like the first one best.

He's got the lowest BW and highest WW too.. Yeah, that's the one I want.. but probably the priciest one too.. Oh well.. gotta pay to play

Like the first bull but not the third. He looks too short bodied but it might be the picture. Like the stats on the first one too. I would definitely take the old cow, and the heifer if you like her. I'm a sucker for older cows, but those "longevity genes" really say alot to me. She has a nice udder for her age, and if she can feed a calf decent for a year or two, you might get some good genetics to keep.

Latest posts