Well............

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We got a little over a half inch of rain and a strange swirly wind.
haybarn1.jpg

This morning this was a 100X35 full hay barn

The lucky part is that the cows were out grazing when it came through and none of them got hurt. Late in the afternoon when it's really hot they lay up (used to) right behind it for the shade. That part is about 50 feet from where it started. Snapped off 5x5s like tooth picks

Jogeephus":la2dd5z1 said:
Glad you are OK and sorry about the barn. What happened to the bales?
Thre still where the barn used to be pretty much

Always something.......I guess you have to be happy it was only a barn.

Few years back a wind to the roof and all 4 walls off a barn near here. Left the hay all neatly stacked where the barn once was.

Dun,

Sorry for your loss

glad the only loss was material stuff that can be replaced.

Mother nature seems to me to be intent on displaying her strength this year. extremes in every direction you look.

Your like a cat with nine lives! Good to hear you guys made it through that intact. Pinz told me he and his buddy are on their way back to MO to help you clean up.

Dun- Sorry for your loss. Mother nature sure can be fickle at times. Was that your only damage or just the major damage?
Good luck on all the decisioons that you will now have to make in a short period of time. JLP

Dun, glad it is not your house in that picture. Sheds can be replaced, people, especially helpful people with good advice, can not. All the best. Jim

So sorry it happened but like others have said it could have been worse. How far is...er, was, that building from your house? Were you home at the time? Would have been a very dangerous time when all that sheet metal was swirling around in the wind. Maybe someone will come in a clean it up for you for the sheet metal?? A building that large, the skin would have quite a bit of value even as scrap.

Worst part is going to be the cleanup.

Was that a 3-sided barn? Looks like the wind picked it up whole and tossed it.

Glad it's nothing worse.

MistyMorning":2xzkvb7y said:
Your like a cat with nine lives! Good to hear you guys made it through that intact. Pinz told me he and his buddy are on their way back to MO to help you clean up.

I'm running short on vacation, so I bought Rick a greyhound ticket out to dun's place - one way!

We had a wind like that a couple of years ago.The walls in this house are four bricks wide nothing ever shakes it, but it did that night. The only building on this farm that wasn't damaged was that hoop barn, I went outside expecting to find it on the ground. Like many have said as long as everybody is safe a building can be put back.

Larry

dun":2wnydjs9 said:
haybarn1.jpg

Dun, I'm glad you and your wife are in good shape, hopefully insurance well take care of things or at least help. You mentioned a strange swirly wind, do you think it was a tornado or just high winds?

Alan

looked at your pictures where it got the fence. If you had been using Hi tensile Red Brand it wouldn't have even hurt it. :)

danl":3bftex1p said:
looked at your pictures where it got the fence. If you had been using Hi tensile Red Brand it wouldn't have even hurt it. :)
I have no idea what that stuff was 80 years ago when the fence was put in.

Alan":1uxqqbp8 said:
dun":1uxqqbp8 said:
haybarn1.jpg

Dun, I'm glad you and your wife are in good shape, hopefully insurance well take care of things or at least help. You mentioned a strange swirly wind, do you think it was a tornado or just high winds?

Alan
Your guess is as good as mine. The wind that I felt and saw was from the north, the damage to both the tree and building is laying east of where they started. The neighbor had a big oak go down towards the west another neighbor had trees go down towards the north.

Latest posts