well... they have arrived!

Help Support CattleToday:

jwhisperj

Reaction score
The two calves were delivered on monday, it was no longer a free deal but my husband said we should do it anyway. So the guy dropped them off and I paid him. Since they were not free, I was looking at them and one looked lethargic, head down, standing off in a bush and hunched weird. So I told him I wanted to trade him for something more perky. I know I am no expert but come on right? I was supposed to pick them out and he just dumped them. He was supposed to be here at around 11 and didn't come until 7:30 pm. He was supposed to band them and he didn't. Anyway, long story short I was watching them in the yard next day and noticed that one was hunching up like he wanted to poop.... well then the strangest thing happened and the little steer calf started to pee out of it's butt! :shock: Huh, Not so much of a steer calf. :roll:
I tried to post pics but my computer is being a impossible piece of plastic. I'll see if my husband has more luck.

WOW, are you sure its a heifer? People usually hold on to those pretty closley! Make sure the calf is peeing and not scouring....

hgfarmer":3yfxwh0c said:
WOW, are you sure its a heifer? People usually hold on to those pretty closley! Make sure the calf is peeing and not scouring....

What is the deal with the reneging on the first agreement?I hate people that do that and probably would have told him to take a hike.If that is a heifer I guarantee you it was a twin to a bull.

Hope they all do well for you and good luck with your new additions.

Thanks I hope they do well too!
I am positive it is a heifer because this is yellow water and her poop is brown. :D I couldn't believe it myself!! I got so excited I called my husband and asked if steers pee like that! :lol2: Also I was cleaning her butt and legs today because they both were really crusted up from the trip and she not only peed but pooped during the process. Good call though.

I think she is acting a little different today though. I wasn't home during the day the last two days, so I am not for sure. She is usually the really perky one, and today she is more subdued. I was wondering if I might have over fed yesterday?
Normally they get 3 pints of milk replacer at about 7:15am,1 pint at 2 pm, and 3 pints at about 8 pm.
Yesterday I got home at about 4:30 and they were bawling so I gave them 1 pint. They were still bawling at 6 so I gave them their supper. Then at nine I went and gave them a little less than a pint. The bull calf is fine and she is pooping normal but just seems off, been watching her and she gets up and walks around fine. It is really windy here today, that might have something to do with it.

Im with hillsdown here. You probably got breother and sister (twins). Meaning she in a freemartin.... Anyways, you should probably keep them out of the wind as well. And make sure you dont overfeed them! Good luck and keep us posted...

They are in my yard because they would be able to get out of the corrals and pasture. Plus I can feed them and check on them really easily in the yard. I have an old cabin that is now a calf house. It has heat lamps on at night and they can go in and out as they please. They seem to like it. My yard is almost 2 acres, so there is lots of room to run.
Thanks for the good wishes. You guys are right about twins I think. Their tag #'s are 54 and 55.

JUST A NEWBIE HERE. BEEN TOLD IF TWINS, BULL & HEFER, THAT HEFER IS
USUALLY STERILE. ANY INPUT? GOT A LONGHORN THE VET SAYS IS HAVING TWINS.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... ll/faq8285

What is freemartinism?
Freemartinism is one of the most severe forms of sexual abnormality among cattle. It causes infertility in the female calf born with a male twin.

How does this occur?
Freemartinism occurs when a female twin shares the uterus with a male. The placental membranes connect the fetus to the dam are shared, and the placental fluids are exchanged between the two fetuses. The exchange of fluid and blood between the two calves mixes the antigens responsible for carrying the unique sex characteristics of each calf. The twins develop with some sex characteristics of both the male and female.

This transfer of hormones and antigens causes the female's reproductive tract to be severely underdeveloped, and in some cases they express characteristics of a male reproductive system. Often the ovaries are underdeveloped and are not capable of producing eggs. The uterus is also underdeveloped, and the reproductive tract does not supply sufficient hormones necessary to maintain a pregnancy.

Photo Credit: Robert A. Foster, Department of Pathobiology,
Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph.

Is the male twin affected at all by this condition?
Reduced fertility sometimes occurs in the male twin, but in ninety percent of the cases the female twin is completely infertile.

What causes freemartinism?
The exact cause is not fully understood. However, the reproductive organs of the male fetus develop earlier than those of a female fetus, which results in the female genitalia being affected. The presence of male hormones impairs the development of the female reproductive system. The fetus is genetically female, but male hormones dominate its reproductive system.

THANKS. HOPE BOTH OF YOUR CALVES ARE GOOD TO GO. HOPE MINE ARE TOO.
THATS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS SITE, EVEN US NEWBIES HAVE A CHANCE TO ASK THE QUESTIONS THAT CAN MAKE OR BREAK OUT HERD. ALL YOU FOLKS THAT ANSWER US ARE REALLY APPRECIATED. THANKS AGAIN.

Hey JWJ ~ New babies are always so much fun to get. Sounds like you have a very nice area set up for them. Are you one of those (like me :oops: ) that names those babies, or are they going to be 54 and 55?

Good luck and have fun with them!

jwhisperj":2ft6eozw said:
The two calves were delivered on monday, it was no longer a free deal but my husband said we should do it anyway. So the guy dropped them off and I paid him. Since they were not free, I was looking at them and one looked lethargic, head down, standing off in a bush and hunched weird. So I told him I wanted to trade him for something more perky. I know I am no expert but come on right? I was supposed to pick them out and he just dumped them. He was supposed to be here at around 11 and didn't come until 7:30 pm. He was supposed to band them and he didn't. Anyway, long story short I was watching them in the yard next day and noticed that one was hunching up like he wanted to poop.... Huh, Not so much of a steer calf. :roll:
I tried to post pics but my computer is being a impossible piece of plastic. I'll see if my husband has more luck.

well then the strangest thing happened and the little steer calf started to pee out of it's butt! :shock:

The calf is not peeing out of his butt...it is water scours. You were lucky to actually see it. Usually, water scours are never noticed. The scours shoot straight out and don't land on the calf's legs.

This calf needs electrolytes...and I mean right now!

Alice

Anyway, long story short I was watching them in the yard next day and noticed that one was hunching up like he wanted to poop

A calf does not do this to "poop" however a female bovine does do this to "pee". 8)

If this is a bull calf...and it's easy enough to tell...then the calf is scoured...badly...with water scours. If it's a heifer calf...again, it's easy enough to tell....

Don't take chances...check! Then, act accordingly.

Alice

The guy we bought our place from had buffalo the way he sexed them was to lay on the ground and while they walked around and over him he would then see if they are male or female. :lol2: I think there are simpler ways than that.

But I think you are right she needs to grab the calf by the balls and see if there are any; if there are it may be to late for electrolytes :( .

Thanks you guys.
I am positive it is a heifer calf. I checked and there are not balls, the bull calf has balls. I am sorry for the exaggeration on the urinating, it was not shooting out of her butt but was coming out at a normal rate from her vaginal area. She is scour free for sure I stay and watch at least one bowl movement a day for all of my animals. Like I said I am very obsessive. I like to be the first to know if something is wrong.
Again thank you for your concern on water scours. I may be a first time cow owner but luckily I have been with animals long enough to know if something is off. I probably don't know what though when it comes to cows but feel that I will have a good chance at noticing.

As far as naming them....
I wasn't going to until we found we had a female. Her name is Ms. May. She will stay here with us. My husband jokingly calls the bull tenderloin.
I am now in the process of building up the courage to band the male. I know there is a lot of controversy on banding verses cutting. You have many pages on this.

I must agree with turnin53, this is a wonderful site for beginners.
Why do you think that they are twins? Just curious . If they are I really hope she is fertile other wise she is gunna go to the packer too.

Thanks again!!
JWJ

I was going to keep her as a nurse maid, for the future. Next year I plan on getting two shorthorn heifers, raising them and selling any bull calves. This is just somewhere to start. I am not for sure if she will be staying, just thinking about it. I have over a year to decide. My goal is to eventually grow to about 10-15 cows. I like the idea of keeping her like framing your first dollar earned at your new business. Silly I know. I will try some pics tonight. ;-)

Latest posts