well... they have arrived!

Help Support CattleToday:

Do a search for freemartin. At the value of Holstein heifers, unless the guy is an idiot I can;t imagine him including one with a steer. Unless that is, that it was born twin to a bull.

dun":1vfapykp said:
Do a search for freemartin. At the value of Holstein heifers, unless the guy is an idiot I can;t imagine him including one with a steer. Unless that is, that it was born twin to a bull.

They are twins ain't no way in H*ll that that heifer is a breedable heifer .Dun in all the twins (bull/heifer) you have seen, even having their own sac how many have been fertile?????????? My experience has been zero.

Sorry jwhisperj I hate to burst your bubble as I posted a very good link here and it lays it out in basic terms.Cows are different than other mammals carrying dual sexed twins.

Any ways the fact that you have already grown attached to the little turkeys means they have gone to a great home.And that's a good thing :) .

Also buy a bander for 10 bucks and a bag of green bands for 3 and count to two and get him done asap.

Thanks you two.
I most likely band him tomorrow. If you are right which you probably are about her being sterile, she will taste just as good. What are the chances it was a mistake?
When she comes of age is there any tests or just breed her and see? I think I can breed her for probably close to nothing for a test from the neighbor who leases the place, when the time comes.
Don't worry about bursting my bubble, it happens right? This is the way it goes. Buy the way thanks for breaking it to me easy :)
JWJ

The chance it was a mistake is about 1 in ten thousand... dairy folks are very possessive of their heifers. If she were good, she'd be worth around $500 right now. You can have her rectally palpated (have it done by an experienced large animal vet) after she's about 375lbs or more. I think I've had them checked down to 350lbs, but I'm not sure on that. They'll be able to tell... most freemartins lack a complete reproductive tract, and depending on the degree of severity she may lack the entire thing - cervix, uterus, ovaries.

It could have been a mistake, sounds like seller was careless with his animals. But ~ I doubt it. If she is a free martin, it is not worth your time to maintain her only to confirm she is sterile. Like HD, I have never heard of one that wasn't. I know statistically here is a chance, but.....
Had a free martin named Lilac. Loved her lots, was a bottle baby. Ate her at 17 months.

Gotcha, I think she will taste just fine. I am glad I found you guys, it always sucks thinking something good has come your way just to find out... Nope not your lucky day after all.

JWJ ~ I have told you before, don;t let people discourage you from what you want to do. Just don't want you to get attached to her, or waste your time/money feeding a heifer that will never calf.

Had a free martin named Lilac. Loved her lots, was a bottle baby. Ate her at 17 months
.Angie you say that so nonchalant.Just kidding been there done that......... :cry:

The last one we had was little Maverick I called her Squirt and I too loved her a lot.We ate her at 19 months.Amazing beef. I still couldn't take her to the butchers though, made my Dad. :cry2: .

She was one of three embryos left in an animal after flushing even though estrumated. All three had their own sacs the vet and association were hopeful that she would be fertile.BUT NO,the equipment was all there but not in working order.

jwhisperj":3uu2vs0q said:
Gotcha, I think she will taste just fine. I am glad I found you guys, it always sucks thinking something good has come your way just to find out... Nope not your lucky day after all.

Hey she could be OK, maybe you hit the jack pot.Take care of them like you are and worry about that when she is older.I do hope that she is a breeder and you will have her for years to come as you sound like me and want to keep all of them as long as you can.

Your right angie, and thanks for being concerned. I'm not too upset since I meant to get two steers anyway. I'm just glad somebody let me know, like you said so I didn't end up waisting a bunch of money and time. If you want to hear what gets my goat and makes me blue I would be happy to tell ya! IN-LAWS and property confusion, Our well problem, the leaser and it gets ridiculously complicated.
But thanks again!

Thanks hillsdown. Like you said I'll worry more about it when the time comes. But it sure is nice to know that there is a very good possibility that she won't calve. My computer is still being silly and then my camera batteries died so eventually you will see them!

Latest posts