Well here we go again TEXAS DROUGHT

Help Support CattleToday:

It is super dry here, I have never seen it this dry this time of year. Usually raining every other day. Last year at this time we had recieved 54 inches 6 inches below average, we are currently at 29 inches for the year. I have a flock of wood ducks in my bottom and I am not sure they remember how to swim.

cowboy43":finst1nd said:
the trouble with rain averages you can get all the yearly average in one flood then end up in a drought. in central Tx we have not had a good rain since the middle of july. we got all the rain the first six months , now in a drought.
That's true...but we had agood rain in August and another one in October...nothing since tho. Got enough that everybody has all the hay they need.

TexasBred":3n1uogk4 said:
cowboy43":3n1uogk4 said:
the trouble with rain averages you can get all the yearly average in one flood then end up in a drought. in central Tx we have not had a good rain since the middle of july. we got all the rain the first six months , now in a drought.
That's true...but we had agood rain in August and another one in October...nothing since tho. Got enough that everybody has all the hay they need.

I had intended to plant more wheat. Its a good thing I didn't.

It always rains at the end of the drought. The wheat I see is about an inch tall and has been for 2 months. Rain the forecast today. Hope we get some of it.

Weather radar looks like some may be getting some rain and a fair chance some could make it to us if it isn't lying...How much I don't know.

1982vett":wb6tyzdn said:
Weather radar looks like some may be getting some rain and a fair chance some could make it to us if it isn't lying...How much I don't know.

I sure hope so, cows are not acting like it. Usually this time of year if rain is coming they will be in a pine sapling thicket.

Caustic Burno":g4mbh45u said:
1982vett":g4mbh45u said:

I sure hope so, cows are not acting like it. Usually this time of year if rain is coming they will be in a pine sapling thicket.

The afternoon map shows a warm font from the south. I don't think that is going to help the rain chances. I suppose it depends on which gets to you first. Then on the other hand...I thought warm fronts and cold fronts didn't really mix to well....could make for some bad winds and storms you might not really want.

1982vett":3uaa0838 said:
Caustic Burno":3uaa0838 said:
1982vett":3uaa0838 said:

The afternoon map shows a warm font from the south. I don't think that is going to help the rain chances. I suppose it depends on which gets to you first. Then on the other hand...I thought warm fronts and cold fronts didn't really mix to well....could make for some bad winds and storms you might not really want.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... on=-97.743

It is raining pretty good here right now!

Caustic Burno":25bnkuqx said:
1982vett":25bnkuqx said:
Just got word from home. 3/10ths so far. Started about 4 pm.

So far 6 inches here, drop every six inches. Radar shows more on the way.
Hope you ended up with more than that. Looks like we maybe got enough to keep the oats and ryegrass alive. Don't know if it will grow anything. Hope we can catch some more Wednesday like the forecast says.

Started raining a little before midnight and is still raining. I don't know how much is in the gauge it's 38 and raining.
I aint going out till it quits. I depise cold with rain as it activates the rhitus brothers in full force.

For the last 3 days weatherman said we would get over 2" when a low pressure system passed over us. Well it passed and we got .03" The bright side we are one day closer to the next flood.

Got more rain last night.And so foggy right now can't even see the cattle out in the pasture.
My rain guage is still broke,guess I'm gonna have to make a trip to town.

And supposed to clear by afternoon and be in the 60's ,52 out right now.

Cal

Been in southern Oklahoma five years now.I think it was the dumbest thing I have done so far.It's one dam natural disaster after another on poor dirt.

EAT BEEF":3hx0yh7w said:
Been in southern Oklahoma five years now.I think it was the dumbest thing I have done so far.It's one dam natural disaster after another on poor dirt.

I have messing with these hateful beast all my life and I can only recall a couple of years we wen't fighting something;
If it wasn't hurricanes it was flood's, drought,heat waves etc. The bangs fight was the worse, I lost that one.
Every three months had to pen and test the herd for the State man, that was stress on the horses, cattle and real stress on the cattleman. We were running cows along Armand Bayou as well as Dickerson Bay, I have seen horses drop dead in that heat. Never did get two bangs free test on that bunch all ended up going through Sealy for slaughter. You want to get a sick feeling let one test positive and the state man brand a B on the jaw.

Caustic Burno":3054h01u said:
EAT BEEF":3054h01u said:

I have messing with these hateful beast all my life and I can only recall a couple of years we wen't fighting something;
If it wasn't hurricanes it was flood's, drought,heat waves etc. The bangs fight was the worse, I lost that one.
Every three months had to pen and test the herd for the State man, that was stress on the horses, cattle and real stress on the cattleman. We were running cows along Armand Bayou as well as Dickerson Bay, I have seen horses drop dead in that heat. Never did get two bangs free test on that bunch all ended up going through Sealy for slaughter. You want to get a sick feeling let one test positive and the state man brand a B on the jaw.
been there done that,had 1 test pos years ago an it took 2 test to get the herd clean.had a cousins herd test pos like yours keep doing.they kept testing his herd an sending cows to the sale then they finally gave up an told to bangs vac the whole bunch.an he did what they said.

now im not really sure what they done to the herd.but he done what the state told him to an they quit testing the cows.

Latest posts