Welders

Help Support CattleToday:

haymaker

Reaction score
I would like to get some opions on the differant types of welders before I make a purchase, I am leaning to a 220volt AC/DC stick welder with a tig rig but I would like some opinions on the MIG (automatic wire feed) welders. Most of the welding will be general farm repairs on 5/16" or less and on gates, corral panels etc.
JRP

haymaker":3hy229yx said:
I would like to get some opions on the differant types of welders before I make a purchase, I am leaning to a 220volt AC/DC stick welder with a tig rig but I would like some opinions on the MIG (automatic wire feed) welders. Most of the welding will be general farm repairs on 5/16" or less and on gates, corral panels etc.
JRP

I have both you mentioned in the cracker box and the mig. The mig is portable and can be ran off a generator in the back of a mule great for repairs in the field.
But the really serious stuff still requires the old cracker box.

i have a cracker box AC/DC . Had it abought 25 years. Would not be without it. Have a lincoln T170 wire feed. Grate for bulding gates and lit stuff. Also have a Miller Bobcat 225. Had it on a truck but got to old to hire out for big jobs so went to a trailer for around the ranch. I don't see how anyone could run a ranch without a portable welder or have a lot of money to pay a welder. Hope this Helps.

I have a Miller 130 wire-feed and a AC/DC Thunderbolt stick. Millers seem a little more user-friendly than any other welders that I've used, but to each his own. For 5/16" and under, a nice wire welder would suffice but nothing beats a stick for burning through rust, paint... If you get a wire feed, make sure it has infinite adjustments on the power/speed dials. Mine doesn't, that's my only complaint.

If I could only have 1 welder I think I would stick to my gas bottles. A small tip and baling wire fixes cracks and tears in the pick-up. A larger tip and rod take care of 5/16. Plus I cut with it and thats hard to do with a small wire feed.

But I don't have to limit myself. So I have the gas bottles for really thin stuff.
A little red cracker box and 200 ft of over head wire for an extension cord let me work around the barn pretty easily.
The Miller bobcat is set up in an old 2 horse trailer. To make the trip to the far side. Supplies go in the feed hatch up front.

A brother has one of the 110 volt wire feed machines. Like cfpinz mentioned it has infinite settings and the new ones seem to all have click settings(no fine tuning). Having played with his I could see where this would be a problem.

I have a Miller bob cat 225,for the rusty cow pen type welding plus they have a generator,which is always a good thing,when you need power in remote locations,come to think of it,there have been very few times when I was welding that I did'nt need power for cuttin grinding whatever,then bought a small "MIG" for the shop ...........good luck
PS had the Miller for about 10 years,no problems yet

Latest posts