Weird Death

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Lost a steer calf tonght.

He was born on 3-31. was fine yesterday. Had a rain storm last night and snow this morning.
Had been given Alpha 7 at birth.

Calf was up by the gate this morning standing but was humped up.
Rolled out 2 straw bales for bedding.
Calf was laying out in the middle of the pasture in a normal position around noon.
At 2pm calf was flat out and barely responsive.
Hauled him to the barn and put him in the hot box.
After an hour turned him over so he got completely dry.
Not responding.
Gave him some Bovi sera only thing we had on hand.
Thinking it is over eating disease.
calf was dead at 6pm.

Hubby is refusing to have a post done. I would rather have one done.

cow looked like the calf had nursed half the bag. The calf's flanks were hollow looking though.

Talked to a friend and they have lost calves this same way. Fine in the morning and dead in the afternoon.

Any ideas?

Top three rule-outs for me on a calf that age, with that presentation:
Congenital cardiovascular anomaly(septal defect, PDA, ALCA/PS, etc.)
Abomasal torsion
Necrohemorrhagic abomasitis(overeating - but usually requires a really heavy-milking cow; don't you have Herefords? ;>0 )

After that, I'd start looking for neonatal septicemia subsequent to failure of passive transfer, pneumonia, etc.

Lucky_P":2hxi7292 said:
Top three rule-outs for me on a calf that age, with that presentation:
Congenital cardiovascular anomaly(septal defect, PDA, ALCA/PS, etc.)
Abomasal torsion
Necrohemorrhagic abomasitis(overeating - but usually requires a really heavy-milking cow; don't you have Herefords? ;>0 )

After that, I'd start looking for neonatal septicemia subsequent to failure of passive transfer, pneumonia, etc.

Doesn't that hit a lot quicker. I watched one of my buddies calves go from running around when we drove thru the pasture to load up to feed, and be dead when we got back 20 minutes later. He was the biggest healthiest calf in the herd and his momma milks like a holstein. BTW this was the only year my friend didn't give C&D at birth. He sure changed his mind quickly after losing that calf.

Yes she is a heavy milker. Last years calf weaned at 705# and we found out our scale was 35# light.

Called the vet last night. Still waiting to hear from him.

Been having to listen to hubby about the "curse" of 23 he has in his head. :roll:

Normally we have anti toxin for the overeating on hand, but we didn't this year since we were using alpha 7.

This year with our "Winter from He!!" a lot of folks up here are losing calves-- and a lot of them are older calves that just look like they give up the will to live and lay down and die...Calf will look fine in morning- be dead or on deaths door by afternoon...I've caught a few early- filled them full of Noromycin 300 LA and they've came out of it...
I think it is some type of pneumonia that comes on fast- and is being brought on by the extremely high humidity we've had all winter/spring...

Latest posts