Weird Buck

Help Support CattleToday:

showstick09

Reaction score
I shot this weird buck Saturday afternoon and I have never seen anything like it before. I live in east Texas. As soon as I saw him I knew he needed to go. His antelers are still in velvet, that's just crazy for this time of year. The little nubby horn was still soft and wiggly not all the way developed yet. After he was shot down we also realized he had no testicles. What's yalls input on this, and here are some pictures.

Testicle damage will cause horn irregularitys and the horns to never shed their velvet. If only one nut is damaged/injured the horn on the opposite side is the one that would have the anomoly.

dun":3kn6k8tr said:
Testicle damage will cause horn irregularitys and the horns to never shed their velvet. If only one nut is damaged/injured the horn on the opposite side is the one that would have the anomoly.

If a young buck is castrated as a kid would he develope antlers at all?

dun":2ib5k3mc said:

If the buck's BACK leg(s) are damaged that will also cause the opposite antler to be deformed too.
It's also really not that totaly uncommon to find a doe with antlers, researchers estimate that about 1 doe in 1,000-6,000 will have anlters. Although, in Canada about 1 in 64 does had antlers.

KNERSIE":2mnhruk8 said:
dun":2mnhruk8 said:

No, the pedicles (what the antlers grow on) would not have been fully developed so therefore he couldn't grow any

Are you sure it was a buck? I can't tell from the picture so it may have been a doe. Were there openings at the rear for #1 & #2 ?

KNERSIE":21jx6dt7 said:
dun":21jx6dt7 said:

Pronghorn Antelope will but they are misshapen. Don't ask me how I know.

A few years ago a guy here shot a nice 5 by 5 elk that turned out to be a cow instead of a bull. He didn't have a cow tag but the game dept let it slide. With that set of horns anyone would have thought it to be a bull.

Latest posts