WEIGHTS

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
I SEE A LOT OF WEIGHT TALK. MY BULL WEIGHT THIS OR MY CALF WEIGHT THIS AT BIRTH. OR SHE WEIGHTED THAT. DON'T TELL ME I NEED A SCALE TOO. HOW DO YALL DETERMINE WEIGHT? SCALE OR EXPERICENCE,R IS THERE SOME OTHER WAY OF TELLING.

For birth weights you can use a bathroom scale or a weigh tape. As they get older you can either purchase scales or use scales at other locations.

We use a weight tape around the hoof for BW and we rent a scale from the local coop at weaning time. The coop rents the scale out for $10 + 50 cents per animal weighed. Its worth it to us to know what kind of performance we are getting. Still can't justify buying one though.

ditto what El Putzo said for me. I think MilkMaid has been having pretty close readings with a tape she uses around the animals chest. Maybe she'll comment.

Id really like to hear about this taping method. Ive seen formulas to determine muscle mass if you know the weight, but never to estimate weight. Im really curious about this.

To answer the original question. Yes, I agree with everyone else, you need to weigh your animals if you are going to judge performance.

HOW DO YOU USE A WEIGHT TAPE & WHERE CAN I GET ONE? AND IF I ASK FOR ONE LOCALLY WILL THEY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT. YES TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS TAPING METHOD

I think the weight tapes are pretty accurate -- they tend to be very close to what I guesstimate the calves weigh by eyeballing them. Sometimes I think they're not quite as accurate if you're comparing weights in a short time frame (like every week), but given 30 days between I feel like I'm getting a good estimation of the calves' weight gain.

Running Arrow Bill on the forum carries them.