weighing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i just spent a grand ordering a set of scales. I know some are a lot higher. but heres my question. I don't know but a couple of breeders who use them . I guess all registered breeders use them so they can accuratly track EPDs. I just can;t see all the cattle breeders using them. seems to be more eyeballing and guessing weight than using a scale.

la4angus

Reaction score
Not near all registered breeders use them. We use the local Auction Market scales when it is time to weigh. Fifteen miles away, decent shrink also.

txag

Reaction score
we have a set of scales we've had for many years. we have more than gotten our money out of it. we use a weight tape for birth weights and the scale for anything after that. we also have kids use it for their steer projects.

MrBilly

Reaction score
I am sure there are people who do not use scales, but I do not know of one who is an honest and capable breeder who doesn't.

Seed stock producers need accurate weights for birth, weaning, giving wormers, etc. Now that you have a scale, try estimating visually acow's weight and then obtain the actual. You will see that in the past you have probably over, or under, wormed your cows - it will pay for itself!

We also use them for our small direct beef sales, to know how much feed to offer, and to determine if the animal is approaching a finishing weight.

Latest posts