Week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

gulfso

Reaction score
Opinions needed. Had to pull a calf on a first calf heifer Saturday evening. Thought all was fine as it was dark when we got done. Momma cleaned him up well and next morning we noticed that she was kicking calf when she tried to suck. Got colostrum and feed it to her and then gave her electrolytes and finally milk.

Have tried everything to get her on mom (rope, pen, stick) with no luck. Now she seems gun shy of trying to suck from her and cow wonders off when calf gets near the bag, so cow will more than likely sprout wheels this weekend for the sale barn unless there is a change before then.

The problem (if it is one) is the calf seems to have a little trouble knowing what do with her tongue. When she is sucking it seems to be in the way. Thinking she may have been kicked to hard and there is some swelling of the tongue? She drinks two qts at a time fairly easy but yesterday she was panting quite a bit (of course it was 90 degrees). Open to ideas.

If it's 90 degrees with the humidity like we've been having, then I'd be panting, also.

Does the calf try to push the nipple out of it's mouth, or does it just suck "funny." If you feel like you are getting adequate nutrition into the calf, then I might not worry much about the the tongue.

Just make sure the calf gets enough nutrition...watch it for scours, especially in this heat! Make sure the calf has plenty of shade and if it starts panting, mist it down with some water.

Just as a precaution, I'd give the calf a dose vitamin A,E&D and a dose of Vitamin B complex...and of course, my all time favorite...Probios!

Alice

We had a bottle baby last year that his tongue just hung out the side of his mouth even when he sucked the bottle - Some are just odd - as long as the milk is going in and the %$&* is coming out I figure all is well!

Tongue can be swollen from having a hard birth. Or, if your area is Selenium deficient, calf may need a shot of BoSe (Se suppliment). Se def affects large muscles (heart, lungs, legs & TONGUE) So, they can move it, but have a difficult time curling it in the right position to suck.
And unless the calf is dehydrated, it does not need any electrolites. Just needs the BEST milk replacer you can buy. Don't overfeed the milk. Also, provide some fresh clean water at all times.

He probably was dehydraded since she had not had anything for several hours. Have not been able to get vet prescribed Bose. They say we do NOT have a selimum problem in our area. I do have some powdered selinium that I can mix with the milk replacer.

Is the calf getting the milk down...even with the funny way it uses its tongue? If it is, then personally, I don't see much of a problem. Within a few weeks, if not sooner, it should begin eating some dry calf starter grower...and when it's eating 2-3 pounds a day of that, then you shouldn't have to worry about a bottle anyway. Make sure you put a little bit of starter grower out NOW and put out some hay with it, also.

Have you tried feeding the calf out of a bucket? Maybe it can drink the milk replacer like that, also, and you wouldn't have to worry about its tongue.

As for the selenium...I don't know if it would hurt the calf. We aren't supposed to be selenium deficient here, either...but I have a bottle of bose here, and the vet didn't balk at it.

If you do decide to mix the selenium into the milk replacer, find out first if you are going to do more harm than good.

And, again, if the calf is getting the nutrition it needs, I'm not quite understanding the big deal about the tongue. :)

Alice

You don't "MIX" the Se in the replacer. It is INJECTED with a needle if you use BoSe. SE can be fed in mineral, but dosage is very critical, I would not attept to mix it myself - and it is a powder/granular form.
If you have a powder form that is supposed to be mixed with mineral, it may be VERY difficult to give a small enough amount. Guess, unless I had specific instructions, I would not try it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2k4yksra said:
You don't "MIX" the Se in the replacer. It is INJECTED with a needle if you use BoSe. SE can be fed in mineral, but dosage is very critical, I would not attept to mix it myself - and it is a powder/granular form.

Well, yes Jeanne, I knew that Bose is injected. I was referring to whatever Gulfso was talking about that he was going to mix into the milk replacer. :)

Alice

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1p6o1r4v said:
Alice, I'm a bit slow - didn't catch that right away, and when I did, I edited my post - same time you posted. :p

That's cool...;-)

gulfso":2vehsbd0 said:
Thinking she may have been kicked to hard and there is some swelling of the tongue?

The pressure of the contractions during a hard birth can cause a calfs tongue - or even entire head to swell. Depending on how swollen they are, it usually goes down in a day or two - possibly a bit longer. It sounds like that is what has happened with this calf. Until the swelling goes down she/he will have difficulty with their tongue - just be patient while bottle feeding and it will all work out.

She seems to be eating fine. RE: The selinium. It is a mineral suppliment that was reccomended by feed store and is a horse product primarily. The dosage is about 1/4 scoop per 1/2 gal.

I have gave her LA 200 on Tueday as a precaution. She is actually doing quite well for being pulled with a chain, hung by her feet, rode around in a trailer, dumped on the grass, kicked by her mom, and shoved in a sauna (Souht AL in May) all before a week old.If she were human she would not have made it this far. :shock:

Sounds like a survivor to me! I truly wish you, and especially her, the best. Keep her!

Alice

gulfso":356sa2sj said:
She seems to be eating fine. RE: The selinium. It is a mineral suppliment that was reccomended by feed store and is a horse product primarily. The dosage is about 1/4 scoop per 1/2 gal.

I have gave her LA 200 on Tueday as a precaution. She is actually doing quite well for being pulled with a chain, hung by her feet, rode around in a trailer, dumped on the grass, kicked by her mom, and shoved in a sauna (Souht AL in May) all before a week old.If she were human she would not have made it this far. :shock:
If your area is not Se defecient I sure would not be giving it. Make sure you check it out with the vet before giving it. That stuff can be toxic. This is one of those cures that can be worse than the disease.

Latest posts