week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Usually they'll start working on the others if they need it. But it depends on how huge, huge is. You might want to strip the forequarters to see if the size goes down so the calf can nurse, or to tell if there is an udder problem.

dun

Would also recommend stripping once. Some calves won't nurse if it is too hard to get anything to come out. Strip them to eliminate any hard blockages then let the calf take over. It'll take care of things when it is a little more agressive.

if she milks heavy it may take longer, i had a cow that had two large front tits and it took sometimes 2 weeks to get them nursed down. i sold her last year i was tired of worrying over it. it only gets worse as they get older.

We have a cow with large teats that also delivers a fine calf.
The first time around I took her to the vet and they milked her and also flooded the teats back thru the ducts to break up the blockage. The next time around we let it go a week and nature took its way. I was in the pasture after that first week an came upon a puddle of white cheese like stuff that smelled like limberger cheese gone bad. Now that is bad! Ol' gal apparently laid down putting some pressure on the udder and lost the plug there.

I wouldn't let it go too far; mastitis isn't healthy but do suggest that stripping it out early-on until the calf can handle it is a solution. Iffin your not willing to do that two or three times a year your definately not a REDNECK.

Third time I'm probably going to roll her to the sale barn,

Jay

J-CCCC":3b92l6gf said:
I was in the pasture after that first week an came upon a puddle of white cheese like stuff that smelled like limberger cheese gone bad. Now that is bad! Ol' gal apparently laid down putting some pressure on the udder and lost the plug there.

you sure that w'dnt calfie poop?

Latest posts