weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

zemogsmom

Reaction score
Mornin everyone.

Our calf is doing fine. Two quick questions. one- I read you can wean him at 6 weeks of age right up to 5 months of age. Does it teally matter as long as he's eating hay , grass, and calf starter now?

two- Two reasons for question one. His milk replacer is almost gone and at 45 dollars a bag I don't want to buy one just for the heck of it. Also he is butting the heck out of me. I think he's too spoiled. I used to let him suck my finger because I thought iswas comforting to him. Now he butts me if i don' let him have my fingers and it hurts . I don' want to stick my fingers in his mouth anymore because his bottom teeth cut into my fingers when he butts my hand. Help my guys. He's so healthy it's disgusting.

If their eating the calf starter well you should be alright.
Start carrying a short stick, piece of hose, something to bop him on the nose! You've got to change his habits now. The problems are proportionate to their size. It will get worse as he gets bigger.

Thanks dj. He also runs circles around me when I'm trying to walk away and I'm afraid he'll knock me down as he gets bigger. Should I bop him of the nose for that too? I have no problem teaching him manners I just don't want to make him mean. A friend said to rap him between the eyes with my knuckles when he butts. News flash guys that hurts me! Hey how about a fly swatter that would sting but I couldn't hit him too hard either. Let me know what you think.

If you can get his attention with a sharp slap with the fly swatter, that might be the way to go. But ya gotta swat him where you know it will sting. I usually just slap the side of their mouths/head with my open hand. Most times it works, sometimes not. However, that's when I'm trying to give a bottle to a calf and the other's try to get in on the action.

When my Daddy was milking cows, he'd use a toy plastic shovel to whack the cows with. He'd been using anything he could get his hands on until he realized he was grabbing stuff that could injure the cows...so, he got a toy plastic shovel and it made a huge "pow" when he swatted the cows. That got the cow's attention and the "pow" gave him a certain amount of satisfaction, I think.

Alice

Wean him if he's eating a couple of pounds of calf starter a day. You'll need to coninue with grain and increasing amounts till he's at least 5-6 months at the very minimum.

dun