Weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I have a small herd of angus cows ranging from young to old old. I am wondering what breed of bull i should use if my optimum goal is weaning weight lbs. I understand there is an equal in every breed but i am talking about which breed would best give me weaning weight lbs for selling calves at 7 months or so old of the cow. Also i would like to stay away from charolais bulls as my cattle are black and i dont want the chance of grey calves. Thank you for your input.

Any of the continental breeds would work. I cant see where you are from, but a simmental, gelbvieh, or limousin woul be a good cross. Just depends on what breed(s) are most available in your area. If your cows are pure angus, you should get all black calves regardless if you buy a red or black bull.

bandit80":cjb7id4d said:
Any of the continental breeds would work. I cant see where you are from, but a simmental, gelbvieh, or limousin woul be a good cross. Just depends on what breed(s) are most available in your area. If your cows are pure angus, you should get all black calves regardless if you buy a red or black bull.

I am in in the middle part of southern SD if that helps out.

The bull is only half of it.

If your cows don't give enough milk it doesn't matter what breed of bull you use.

Jovid":xrlp2qjd said:

If your cows don't give enough milk it doesn't matter what breed of bull you use.

100% true, but you have to have the grass to sustain heavy milkers, I don't and not sure being in South Dakota can either.

Jovid":2jwudyvi said:

That's one of THOSE kind of deals. If you use a bull that has too much growth in his calves and the cows can;t produce adequate milk (either form her genetics or the forage base) you end up with open cows that are skin and bones and potty calves that don;t sell worth spit.
That's why you need to balance weaning weights, cow genetics AND forage

cross_7":177pw44i said:
Jovid":177pw44i said:

100% true, but you have to have the grass to sustain heavy milkers, I don't and not sure being in South Dakota can either.

Depends on the breed.....some do just fine with very little

Jovid":299rhqw9 said:
cross_7":299rhqw9 said:
Jovid":299rhqw9 said:

Depends on the breed.....some do just fine with very little

Red Poll ?

Latest posts