Weaning the little Booger

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just put Booger is his new home for the next 45 days. He's not quite 7 months but I figured it was time. Here is a pic, not the best but none the less a pic
IMG00058-20100823-1101.jpg

He's all by himself in the pen. He can see and nose mom, but she doesn't seem to be too concerned that he's in the pen. A little bawling on both sides but not bad after 12 hrs

It can't really be that easy can it? If it is, if anyone wants to ship me one ill pay for it and the shipping. Not really coat effective for one calf a year to buy a whole pack of them. Seriously...pm me if someone wants too

I guess no one wants to ship me one. :tiphat:
The manufacturer says that they can, but it comes from Canada and shipping would be expensive. There are 2 distributors in the south east and I'm waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime it seems he isn't drinking much water, maybe a gallon a day, but is eating a little bit of hay and some range cubes. Hopefully he starts drinking more water here soon

We wean calves all the time with weaners in their noses. Sometimes one will figure out how to suck with the thing. When it works it is a great way to wean. No balling. We don't use the flaps but use the kind that have spikes on them. Get ours from Valley Vet or Jeffers.

I'm going to try them. I've got a few on the way and as soon as I get them ill put one in and turn him back out

hooknline":3vzghm9f said:
I'm going to try them. I've got a few on the way and as soon as I get them ill put one in and turn him back out

My calves/cows bawl for 2 days. By the time you get the flaps, they'll be done bawling and settling in. Turning them back in together seems like it might be an unnecessary risk at this point.

I also think the nose flaps are perfect for the person with one or two cows . . . that way you don't have to start all over if one figures it out then causing you to have to separate wean anyway. One bawling calf will keep me awake as easily as twenty.

4 days later he's still bawling, just not as much. If I turn him back out, I won't have the expense of keeping him in hay and I think it will be better for him, as long as he doesn't figger out how to suck. If he does, ill put him back in the pen. But I'm hoping the worst of the desire to suck is over by the time he goes back out

Got the flaps today, maybe they would work to help me stop smoking????? :mrgreen:
IMG00059-20100827-1512.jpg

Well, he has still been bawling to the point that he has lost some of his voice. I put the flap on him, turned him loose and ill be danged if he didn't figure out how to get one of the front teats with his tongue. He's back in the pen now, and I'm wondering if I can put some sharpened studs in a flap and see if that works.....ideas????????