Weaning ration

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
What is the most effective and efficient weaning ration you all have used? Is 14% creep at ~$8 per 50lb bag adequate or is there something that has worked better for you all while dry lotted with hay and feeding twice daily?

12 days into weaning so far and calves are cleaning up 6lbs per head daily of feed just fine with no scours but may hang onto them and push them to 45 days total if there's an affordable way to do so. Thanks in advance for your input

What Kenny said. In My part of Texas I couldn't find an affordable feed so I bought a grinder mixer to make my own. That spiraled into preconditioning truck loads of calves pretty fast lol. But I couldn't make it pencil out buying bagged feed

kenny thomas said:
First thing would be to get the price way way down. $5 or less per 50 lb.

Good to know. I pulled my most recent receipt and it's actually $7.25 per 50lb bag but still not close to where I need to be.

I was hoping someone on here would have an idea of some other feedstuff that could be fed along with 14% (diluted if you will).

Debating getting a super sack of "commodity blend" $115 per 1000lbs to push them over the hump in order to hit the first sale of 2020. Sounds like I probably check into that.

ValleyView said:
kenny thomas said:
First thing would be to get the price way way down. $5 or less per 50 lb.

Good to know. I pulled my most recent receipt and it's actually $7.25 per 50lb bag but still not close to where I need to be.

I was hoping someone on here would have an idea of some other feedstuff that could be fed along with 14% (diluted if you will).

Debating getting a super sack of "commodity blend" $115 per 1000lbs to push them over the hump in order to hit the first sale of 2020. Sounds like I probably check into that.

This is what I do for my replacement heifers. A mini bulk bag at 2000 lbs barley, oats, some other goodies plus Rumenson. I keep the rations to just 3 or 4 lbs a day but I'm only trying to put some frame on them over winter. But I would use the same ration only more of it if I was trying to put the pounds on.

5S Cattle said:
What Kenny said. In My part of Texas I couldn't find an affordable feed so I bought a grinder mixer to make my own. That spiraled into preconditioning truck loads of calves pretty fast lol. But I couldn't make it pencil out buying bagged feed

What does a grinder set a guy back? I would imagine once you get over the hump on "start-up" costs, it would translate into an opportunity to take on additional non/short weaned calves with a decreased feed cost. What does your typical ration consist of?

Hope all is well with you buddy!

ValleyView said:
5S Cattle said:

What does a grinder set a guy back? I would imagine once you get over the hump on "start-up" costs, it would translate into an opportunity to take on additional non/short weaned calves with a decreased feed cost. What does your typical ration consist of?

I spent $2500 on a new holland 354. Between that and my bulk feeders that's the only out of pocket cost I've had. Need to buy a tractor so I can give my dads his back but I'll get there with this next load I hope. Yes that's exactly what I'm going. Buying unweaned bulls, steering them, and keeping them 60 days. My mix is corn, wcs, small alfalfa squares, used vegetable oil, calcium/lime, and rumensin. Comes out to 9.5 cents a lb. Running them on oats as well to cheapen my feed bill up.
Hope all is good up there for you as well!

5S Cattle said:
ValleyView said:
5S Cattle said:

I spent $2500 on a new holland 354. Between that and my bulk feeders that's the only out of pocket cost I've had. Need to buy a tractor so I can give my dads his back but I'll get there with this next load I hope. Yes that's exactly what I'm going. Buying unweaned bulls, steering them, and keeping them 60 days. My mix is corn, wcs, small alfalfa squares, used vegetable oil, calcium/lime, and rumensin. Comes out to 9.5 cents a lb. Running them on oats as well to cheapen my feed bill up.

5S what weight cattle do you usually go for. I have thought about doing this several times and sending them to OKC, where do you market yours and what is the profit per head if you dont mind me asking.

midTN_Brangusman said:
5S Cattle said:
ValleyView said:

5S what weight cattle do you usually go for. I have thought about doing this several times and sending them to OKC, where do you market yours and what is the profit per head if you dont mind me asking.

I am a little over a week away from shipping my first set so I can't answer your questions just yet. But they averaged 378 coming in. I'm hoping they leave between 5-525. I'm marketing mine back through cattle buyers. I don't want to go back through a barn, too much profit sucked out of every calf. I'm not sure about okc but here it's $20-30 off the top

5 bucks for 50lbs....you guys have it made.

Alf and weaner feed is about 24 bucks for 50lbs here...lol

Bulka bags are around 700 bucks.... our dollar at about .70 of yours...

That is what drought does....but the prives wont go down now...I bet.

5x4 rolls of oat hay people asking 280 to 320...if you buy in stores, bring 2 cheque books !

I picked up 1000lbs of commodity blend for $114 yesterday in a $22 sack from Amazon. Gradually transitioning them from 14% creep to the new feed.

Hoping to hit the 2nd sale in January and they'll be 48 days weaned at that point. The feed brings back fond memories of my college days as it smells like stale beer!

ValleyView said:
I picked up 1000lbs of commodity blend for $114 yesterday in a $22 sack from Amazon. Gradually transitioning them from 14% creep to the new feed.

Hoping to hit the 2nd sale in January and they'll be 48 days weaned at that point. The feed brings back fond memories of my college days as it smells like stale beer!

I'd put at least 60 days before you sell them. About 45 days is when they really start to put the weight on. Sell them then and you did all the hard work for the next guy to make the profit

We pay over $7.00 for a 50 lb bag for 14% here. We keep out the Vita Ferm stress tubs and minerals. For weaning we feed 20% range cubes. Our calves eat them well and do good on them. They run around $320.00 a ton.

5S Cattle said:
ValleyView said:

I'd put at least 60 days before you sell them. About 45 days is when they really start to put the weight on. Sell them then and you did all the hard work for the next guy to make the profit

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! Assuming the calves perform on commodity blend I can stomach letting them hang around without breaking the bank.

ValleyView said:

Where can the commodity blend be purchased? Only have CoOp near me, and I'm new to this, but haven't heard of it before. I'm paying $6.50 for 12% and $8 for 14% per 50.

HC TN Angus said:
ValleyView said:

Where can the commodity blend be purchased? Only have CoOp near me, and I'm new to this, but haven't heard of it before. I'm paying $6.50 for 12% and $8 for 14% per 50.
Where are you located in TN? If in eastern TN there are a couple of places that will mix it anyway you want. I paid 215 for 16% Friday.