Weaning - On the truck or in the pen?

Help Support CattleToday:

We do as PatB does and see the ten cents per pound return for really very little work. Last year after expenses and even factoring in a salary for me to feed, we made $65 per head over what we would have received without the preconditioning.

The feeder that has bought several of our groups of calves in the past just commented that he can pay an extra $35 a head for the calves because of the lack of sickness and that they are on feed as soon as they walk off the trucks. He likes the source varified aspect too, but so far McDoanlds, etc. aren't willing to pay for it.

dun

of corce there going to tell you that.saying it and atualy paying it are to diffrent things.imo-them calves would bring just as much weened on the truck if they are good cattle.why do them a favor at your cost when you relly dont no if your making more or not.imo-the buyers at these 45weened sales ect.are laughing all the way to the bank.~~~~~~~~~Tc

Tc":n5bx6tyk said:
of corce there going to tell you that.saying it and atualy paying it are to diffrent things.imo-them calves would bring just as much weened on the truck if they are good cattle.why do them a favor at your cost when you relly dont no if your making more or not.imo-the buyers at these 45weened sales ect.are laughing all the way to the bank.~~~~~~~~~Tc

With the backgrounding and vaccinations we've alwasy gotten enough over market to more then make up for the dollars and labor. And that was before this guy came to the conclusion that he can pay more.

dun

I've only sold calves 4 yrs now (still very new to this game) and have done it both way. One time I had a couple that were weaned and preconditioned and one that was not. No noticable price difference in that group.

My thinking is that unless the buyer knows they came from a back grounding program, thru a special sale they are not bothering to reward the extra work around here. I do it mostly because I want my calves to look their best no mater what. I am working towards selling private treaty, even looking at selling direct cuts so I look at it as marketing and I learn what works on my place and what does not.

roy

what does private treaty and direct cut mean, i am very new at raising cattle and even newer at marketing them. i know there has to be a better way than the sale barn method

Latest posts