weaning heifer with yearlings?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
Your input please. I may be getting too paranoid about things, so looking for confirmation or ridicule, either way.

I have a late heifer, Feb., out of a cow that wasn't what she was supposed to be when I bought her a couple years ago. She hasn't fell back or moved up much to speak of, so I've got one out of time with the others. She hasn't had any feed at all, so no pre weaning done. She's just been with the cows. My main group is dropping calves and I don't want this heifer stealing milk from the baby mommas, as some would probably let her. I'm thinking I'll cut her out and put her with the yearlings. They are getting fed twice a day. I'll add another bunk to really spread them out and maybe she can get her some of it. The yearlings would lead her to shade if she will go with them, and I'm pretty sure she has drank out of a ball waterer before. If nothing else there is water in the creek. My concern is, during her stress, if she gets a little cold or something, if you all think the yearlings would be at risk. All raised on the same farm. I don't need a yearling issue right now.

It wouldn't bother me at all to turn her out with the yearlings and no, I wouldn't worry about the yearlings being at risk.

I have to do that often, it seems like there is always an late born calf or two. I do the same that you mentioned, I spread the feed out over several troughs so they can all eat without much fighting. There still may be a little, but before long the new calf should eat right along with the rest. I would how ever wean her in a stall or lot first to until she is used to eating feed.