Weaning flaps

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We installed the yellow Quiet Wean brand flaps in our calves noses Friday evening and kept the calves with the cows. My sons return to school tomorrow so I was thinking of removing them this evening and separating the calves into the corral but keeping the cows just outside for a day or two before returning them to their next pasture. Ideas and/or thoughts?

We seperated the calves and removed their flaps and have them in the corral. They haven't made a peep all day and are happy not being pushed around at the feed bunk. The cows on the other hand are obnoxious but they will get over it.

Ours just always fall out. Usually they will stay in for like 1-2 weeks then fall out. By that point the job is done and then we go pick up the flaps from the field. We don't separate ours, we leave them all together.

The instructions with the Quiet Wean flaps is to install the flaps and leave the calves with the cows for 4 to 5 days then separate the calves and remove the flaps. We separated the calves and removed the flaps after 2 full days because due to schedule changes I wasn't going to have help on day 4 or 5 to run them thru the head gate by myself. The calves are doing great and haven't made a sound or missed a meal. Our late spring calves will get the same treatment here in a few months.

Latest posts