Weaning first calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Weaning my first calf yesterday. 6 month old I was going to save as a replacement. Pulled her into a small 1 acre pasture with some other heifers I bought. The pasture has field fencing with barbed wire. The only thing seperating the pasture from her mommas pasture are 2 gates in an intersection of the pastures about 20 feet apart. Momma wont go too far away from the gates and the heifer and momma are bawling. Knew the hiefer would do this but will this subside?. Do I need to pen the heifer up? I dont have a great way to get them any farther away as the only water source is at the house where these pastures meet. Do I need to just sell the heifer? Is the momma too close?

yes its normal and they will eventually stop.. seeing each other helps both. However my weaning is done with 3 strands of electric but mom and baby could kiss if they wanted too.

They'll be quieter in a couple days. I do the same as Sky, I use 4 strands of electric. It seems to calm the cows more so than the calves. I have one cow that'll go over/under/through a barbed wire fence if I try to pull her to a pasture away from her calf. With the calf behind the electric she doesn't make a peep.

M.Magis":2lj43nim said:
They'll be quieter in a couple days. I do the same as Sky, I use 4 strands of electric. It seems to calm the cows more so than the calves. I have one cow that'll go over/under/through a barbed wire fence if I try to pull her to a pasture away from her calf. With the calf behind the electric she doesn't make a peep.

That electric sure is good stuff aint it :D

i have some cattle at my parents house. my mother hates weaning time, she feels so bad for those poor little calves

Perfectly normal will go on for a few days.
I like to put the pair's in the weaning pasture together for a few days. Then cut the cows out.
Having em right beside each other where they can practically touch actually cuts down on the bawling.impossible

If you just do a few try the weaning nose inserts put them in for a week then separate lot less stress, but they bawl 48 hrs then it subsides it is good to fence line wean if possible

Latest posts