weaning calves

Help Support CattleToday:

HEREFORD ROADHOG

Reaction score
just wanted some opinions on weaning . do you do it when its conveniant or go by the sign ? and do you think this helps if you do. thanks. :cboy:

To an extent when its convenient.... As in this weekend is more convenient than next (not this month more convenient than next).
Weaned last years at 7 months, thats ideal in a good year. I'm thinking should have done it sooner though due to the drought last year. I'm wondering if the cows didn't need the benefit of the extra time more than the calves did. No younger than 6 months if I can help it. You are not talking about bottle babies right? I'm not sure what it means "go by the sign", so I hope I answered your question for the most part......

i wean calves when i can get some help.but i like to wean at 7 to 9 months.an when i wean we pen every calf thats over or close to weaning age.will prolly try to wean again in may or june.have 2 thatll be ready then.

Generally around 6 and a half to 7 months. Also depends on how the cow is doing, calf is doing, enough grass and always check the sign.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":rhgb55ok said:
just wanted some opinions on weaning . do you do it when its conveniant or go by the sign ? and do you think this helps if you do. thanks. :cboy:

Our calving season was pretty much defined, and we generally weaned when the majority of the calves reached 7 months of age. I'm not sure what "by the sign" means, so I can't comment on that.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":wufzx0wf said:
All else being equal I would not discount the sign.
I have seen the effects on bleeding in dehorning. Trouble is I can't ever remember what sign to go by.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":28vb3odz said:

Usually at six months. I like to give the cow time to get ready for the next one without a 5/6 weight calf beating on her. Also try to wean by the sign. Don't see much difference in the calf's behavior, but the cow seems to handle it better & dry quicker. That may just be me.

fitz

the signs are in the almanac, i believe weaning is from the knees down.
my father-in-law, my grandpa and others swear by the signs especially for gardening. i don't wean by the signs i do it when i have the time. weaned some saturday around 7 months is best.

We weaned some calves "by the signs" for a new owner that requested it. I actually think it worked out better than usual and my bedroom window is close to the weaning pen and I didn't lose sleep listening to them bawling so it must have been better. ;-) Something like this - the last quarter of the waning moon, so it's getting darker every night and the mamas are not moving around but sleeping so their calves can't see or hear them and sleep too. I got the date off the Farmer's Almanac online.

Cloverbell
Vanleer, Tennessee