Weaning calves off the bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out when would be a good time to start weaning my calves off the bottle.? I'm not sure exactly how how they are, because I bought them from a man that bought them from the stock yards. But I've had the Angus for about 2 months and the BWF is about the same size. They're very nice and healthy. One is a BWF heifer and the other is a Black Angus heifer. They both eat hay, starter feed, and grass when they are turned out. And I always leave hay and feed for free choice in their shelter. Usually every morning when I go to feed them their bottles the feed bucket is licked clean. I give them both 6 pints a day of milk replacers. 3 in the am and 3 in the pm. And they eat on hay and starter feed all day between that. Any advice? If ya'll have any it would be greatly appreciated!

When they're eating aorund 3 lbs each of calf starter a day. Remember they're going to need to stay on a grain diet till they're at least 6-8 months old gradually increased in amount as they get bigger

I raised several bottle calves this year and kept them on the bottle until they were about 3 months old. Then I gave them the bottle once per day for about 2 weeks. They were still REALLY unhappy when i quit giving them the bottle entirely but I made sure to give them plenty of attention at feeding time. It is the same emotional attachment they have to a momma, so giving them attention and let them suck my hand and it helps them to some degree. I know it sounds REALLY silly, but the stress of weaning is much harder on the calf than the lack of milk. When we wean our calves from their moms, we practice fenceline weaning where we separate them through a fence that the calf cannot nurse through. The moms bawl alot, probably because they are engorged and want the calf to nurse. The babies hardly pay and mind or bawl at all. Then when we drive the moms to a new pasture, it isn't so stressful because we aren't taking away mom AND the milk at the same time. So while it seems silly, a few minutes of attention along with good nutrition in their hay and grain can go a long way in keeping your calf happy, thus healthy.

Latest posts