Weaning 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
If you're worried about frame size being too small with Rainfalls, use Raindance. All of ours are slightly larger than the Presidents. I'd be surprised if Rainfalls are like the Raindance calves in frame size.
Raindances have all been super consistent

Have your Presidents? I know you've liked them. Have they been consistent for you?

We've liked most of them. There's a few that are not as good as we'd have hoped. I think some of them were on Dams that were below average. We did breed our best cow to him and he's been a little disappointing. He did get sick as a young calf though.
The Raindance calves are all at the top of our herd. Most were ET sexed heifer Embryos. Some of the best young heifers we've ever had.
If I had to pick between President and Raindance I'd breed most to Raindance.
We just did another flush to President last week though.

Getting sick makes a difference. We have an ET calf that isn't performing like his flush mates. Pretty rough looking, actually. I was on the road yesterday and hubby called. He asked if I had sent the samples off yet because he wasn't sure we should even register him (he's an Epic so I was testing NH first)

We are setting up a cow to breed this week. Flushing to Supercharger. Her dam is Basin Lucy 338R and she's (dam) recorded some darn good progeny. I'm pretty excited about this one. I think Supercharger on my Lucy is going to be a great match.

NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
"Too much growth", hmmm....

I'll take that problem.
It's a nice problem to have. I'll have actual numbers I can report once it's moved into cattlemax. It'll adjust those to 205 and make it a fair comparison amongst the sires we used.

I'll report the sire and number of head in the averages.
How many of these calves dams ar Up N Coming daughters?

southernultrablack said:
NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
"Too much growth", hmmm....

I'll take that problem.
How many of these calves dams are Up N Coming daughters?
It's a nice problem to have. I'll have actual numbers I can report once it's moved into cattlemax. It'll adjust those to 205 and make it a fair comparison amongst the sires we used.

I'll report the sire and number of head in the averages.
A handful for sure but let me pull some reports. Much of what we have is either a daughter of or granddaughter of but I'll look at dams of those who calved to Blackstone. 1733 and 1739 heifers are UNC's. Both bull calves over 800 also.

We got two inches of rain on an already saturated ground... so I may not walk thru pens but I may get a few pics at the bunk too. These two, they were talking about keeping for commercial bull sale cuz of dams being Up N Coming daughters. No free passes though, they'll be critiqued and culled just as hard.

NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
NEFarmwife said:
We'll need a butt pic.

No. If you were a cow, I'd have to cull you. No butt in those pants! :)

Lol, that's a friend of mine from a meeting today. When he stood up to make a statement I thought about your comment so a took his picture. That's not to say my backside would be any better but that's a selfie I'm not taking. I'll gratefully consider myself culled as well.

LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
If you're worried about frame size being too small with Rainfalls, use Raindance. All of ours are slightly larger than the Presidents. I'd be surprised if Rainfalls are like the Raindance calves in frame size.
Raindances have all been super consistent

Have your Presidents? I know you've liked them. Have they been consistent for you?

We've liked most of them. There's a few that are not as good as we'd have hoped. I think some of them were on Dams that were below average. We did breed our best cow to him and he's been a little disappointing. He did get sick as a young calf though.
The Raindance calves are all at the top of our herd. Most were ET sexed heifer Embryos. Some of the best young heifers we've ever had.
Have you bred to Rainfall?

NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:
Getting sick makes a difference. We have an ET calf that isn't performing like his flush mates. Pretty rough looking, actually. I was on the road yesterday and hubby called. He asked if I had sent the samples off yet because he wasn't sure we should even register him (he's an Epic so I was testing NH first)

We are setting up a cow to breed this week. Flushing to Supercharger. Her dam is Basin Lucy 338R and she's (dam) recorded some darn good progeny. I'm pretty excited about this one. I think Supercharger on my Lucy is going to be a great match.

We are going to attempt to set up a cow this Thursday to breed to Supercharger in early September. Really excited to see how the mating works out, she's an All In, with Mohnen Dynamite on the maternal. Super clean fronted cow, not real wide topped but a heck of a first calf mama. We either will get her bred or rebuild the head gate, again!

CreekAngus said:
NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
We are going to attempt to set up a cow this Thursday to breed to Supercharger in early September. Really excited to see how the mating works out, she's an All In, with Mohnen Dynamite on the maternal. Super clean fronted cow, not real wide topped but a heck of a first calf mama. We either will get her bred or rebuild the head gate, again!

I really like a lot of Mohnen cattle. Still have yet to use any but I'd like to.

CreekAngus said:
LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:

Have you bred to Rainfall?

We haven't bred to Rainfall. I've heard good things about them. We used a Lot of Charlo influence. Bravo, President and Raindance. Raindance's were our best overall group. Some really nice Presidents and some average ones. Bravo is a really good heifer bull, but ours haven't shown the growth. They are really nicely shaped. It's Pretty tough for a -BW heifer bull to compete unless they are really large framed like most of the popular terminal bulls out there.
Supercharger looks really nice, we've really liked our Seedstock females. Supercharger looks like he's one of the best bulls phenotypically out there. We didn't use him because we had a Recharge flush out of a Spruce Mtn Emblynette cow that didn't really turn out that great and had a decent amount of Seedstock females already.

So have you been happy with President calves? Have they performed well as a group ? I only put him a couple cows and they both stuck. first time using SAV genetics. Went and visited a commercial herd that had some President use last year and use alit of Schaff bulls and he said his resource calves are still the best out of all of them.

From what I've read on here it's kinda a hit or miss on President . Just trying to prepare myself for next spring

The best Schaff calf i have seen this year was to one of my customers had a governor bull out of an avg commercial cow and just weaned him off at 800 pounds no creep. Plans on using him as a herd bull

NEFarmwife said:
If I had to pick my favorite SAV sired calved calved from this crop, it is Quarterback.

Game Changer is looking good too and slightly smaller framed.

We liked our Game Changers. They were nice. Saw Quarterback at stud, kind of disappointed in him. No Nuts and really large framed. Didn't look like most Schaff bred bulls to me.

LJCB said:
So have you been happy with President calves? Have they performed well as a group ? I only put him a couple cows and they both stuck. first time using SAV genetics. Went and visited a commercial herd that had some President use last year and use alit of Schaff bulls and he said his resource calves are still the best out of all of them.

From what I've read on here it's kinda a hit or miss on President . Just trying to prepare myself for next spring

I think Presidents are really nice for the most part. They are extremely long. Some look a little goofy at certain stages because they are so long.
Raindances are going to be tough to beat. All of them look alike.
Resource calves are very good calves. Some just don't like how moderate they are.
Thing about frame is the farther North you go, the bigger the frame that most people like.

LCBulls said:
LJCB said:

I think Presidents are really nice for the most part. They are extremely long. Some look a little goofy at certain stages because they are so long.
Resource calves are very good calves. Some just don't like how moderate they are.
Thing about frame is the farther North you go, the bigger the frame that most people like.
Agree on President. Some are so long, they look like wiener dogs.

LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:
If I had to pick my favorite SAV sired calved calved from this crop, it is Quarterback.

Game Changer is looking good too and slightly smaller framed.

We liked our Game Changers. They were nice. Saw Quarterback at stud, kind of disappointed in him. No Nuts and really large framed. Didn't look like most Schaff bred bulls to me.

I can certainly see the large frame. They surprised us. They didn't really start standing apart till about the last month or so at pasture.

NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
LJCB said:

Agree on President. Some are so long, they look like wiener dogs.

I won't mind length ! I told someone the other day I couldn't wait to calve but I know when that starts I'll be thinking when's it gunna be done 😂.

Latest posts