Weaned Heifer Won't Join Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Whatnow

Reaction score
We recently introduced a few weaned heifers to our herd and one of the new heifers won't join the herd. She'll get sort of close at times and won't run off if the herd comes around her but she won't follow them. It's been about 10 days. I've never had one take that long to adjust & "join the crowd" but we haven't brought in a lot of new cows, or maybe I've just forgotten how long it's taken in the past. She seems healthy, ears not droopy, we've seen her graze. Is it common to take that long? Is there a chance she's still missing her mama or still adjusting to being somewhere new?

She's most likely still adjusting but I've had calves from "helicopter" moms that just take longer to fully wean. Do you know how long they were weaned? Our minimum is 30 days, generally 45. We've also had a couple cows that are just simply shy, sometimes get picked on and are with the herd but typically on the fringe. As long as she appears healthy I'd just keep an eye on her, maybe make an effort to give her more cubes & become accustomed to you.

I bought a 800lb heifer and it took awhile before she joined up. Finally the need for company won over but I think it took about 3 weeks.

wacocowboy":3cppanlu said:
I bought a 800lb heifer and it took awhile before she joined up. Finally the need for company won over but I think it took about 3 weeks.

Good to hear--hopefully she comes around soon.

ALACOWMAN":bwh316c4 said:
the establishing rank takes place when I turn heifers back in the herd...is she totin' a good butt whippin? or trying to avoid one.....

I watched her for a while and didn't see any unusually aggressiveness from the others, but maybe I'm just not seeing it. We do have a bossy donkey out there, LOL. Maybe she's giving her a hard time.

Whatnow":27bj6dqx said:
wacocowboy":27bj6dqx said:

Good to hear--hopefully she comes around soon.

I know you said weaned heifer I was wondering about how old. She comes in heat and the bull will bring her in and she will seek him out.

She's not busting fence? She's healthy and not declining ? If so, I'd let her be. If she'd not causing you any problems, she's not a problem. My F1 was the nursery keeper. All the new borns hang with her new born and they all hang with her. She's simply a leader and not a follower. Great cow. I don't care if she ever blended.

backhoeboogie":31uh2boj said:
She's not busting fence? She's healthy and not declining ? If so, I'd let her be. If she'd not causing you any problems, she's not a problem. My F1 was the nursery keeper. All the new borns hang with her new born and they all hang with her. She's simply a leader and not a follower. Great cow. I don't care if she ever blended.

Nope, she's just chillin. Very interesting, thanks. I'm glad you agree about letting her be...we don't want to chase her around & stress her out our near 100 degree temps.

A couple of years ago I sold a 5 year old to my nephew and dumped her in his pasture, which is out my back door. She has never fully joined the herd. She'll get close at the hay ring, but grazes well away from them. Never seen a reason why.

The Bud take is she that feels safer by herself than she does in the herd. (You owe me $500 for that cow whisper) ;-)

I have had purchased animals that try to pull this and I do not tolerate it. The loner will sometimes take off when you start to work the herd and then you have a bigger problem.

The way to "fix" this is to put pressure on her when she is by herself, :cowboy: and release the pressure when she joins the herd.

MRRherefords":1exi6cp4 said:
We run our weaned heifers together then introduce them to our bred heifers first before the herd right away.

We did that for a week...the other heifers joined the herd.

Stocker Steve":1blag82a said:
The Bud take is she that feels safer by herself than she does in the herd. (You owe me $500 for that cow whisper) ;-)

I have had purchased animals that try to pull this and I do not tolerate it. The loner will sometimes take off when you start to work the herd and then you have a bigger problem.

The way to "fix" this is to put pressure on her when she is by herself, :cowboy: and release the pressure when she joins the herd.

Thanks so much! I was a little worried she's going to be a pain to work, but hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case. I've put a little pressure on her to join the others, but it's so hot, I didn't want to run her too much so I've just let her be for now. Thanks of the free cow whisperer tips, LOL.

Latest posts