Weaned calf protocol

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmitty4494

Reaction score
I am curious as to everyone's protocol as to feeding fresh weaned calves. How much per day do you feed them and what ration? Calves will average 500#. I am thinking 6-7lbs per day of a ration with cracked corn, distillers grain and soybean meal. Is 7lbs per day of feed pushing them too hard?Feeding very good orchard grass clover hay in a dry lot for a few weeks then will turn out on grass.

tsmitty4494":1qitxqtr said:
I am curious as to everyone's protocol as to feeding fresh weaned calves. How much per day do you feed them and what ration? Calves will average 500#. I am thinking 6-7lbs per day of a ration with cracked corn, distillers grain and soybean meal. Is 7lbs per day of feed pushing them too hard?Feeding very good orchard grass clover hay in a dry lot for a few weeks then will turn out on grass.
At 500 lb 2% of their body weight is fine so 10 lb of good feed is good.

I use a Purina feed they use to call Pre Con5. They changed the name a couple years ago and I forget the new name. The instructions said 5 pounds a day for 14 days then shift to what ever ration you feed. I figured one 50 pound sack per calf. So 5 pounds a day for 10 days. They really went for it so they started eating grain a lot quicker. They quieted down quicker and seemed to wean easier.

tsmitty4494":2qehabqr said:
You won't need the soybean meal. Just use the DDG and corn.

I try to ramp them up to 6-7# per day. Start at say 3# and every 4-5 days add a pound. I'm not very technical but their rumen needs to adjust to the feed to take full advantage of it. Once you get them broke in 2% of body weight is about right. Watch them and if they get too loose change feeds or back off on the amount a little. Another thing is keeping with one feed mix. I don't like changing feeds in the middle of a 60-90 day weaning process.

tsmitty4494":59maay3m said:

Are you going to feed the same amount after you turn them out to grass? I would think you can back off the feed a little at that point and save some $$. Just my :2cents:

It depends here , on the season , and when we're planning to market , on how aggressive we get . Many people on here know more than I ,but if you have the time , forage is the least expensive way to put pounds on.

We have been feeding 7.5lb/ day but we've had a cold snap and the grass won't last but a couple more weeks. Planning to up them to 10lb/ day once grass is gone. They seem to be gaining very well without getting fleshy.

Latest posts