Weaned 41 - what now?

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
I weaned 41 calves 4 days ago. 250 lb to 600 lb, heifers, steers and bulls. They're settled and turned out on good coastal pasture. I'm giving them limited creep pellets and protein molasses block to supplement the pasture which will be frost killed tonight or tomorrow night. The mamas have wandered off and quit bellowing, finally.

In the past I always culled and sent them straight to the stockyard but prices are weak right now and I don't want to give them away, plus I don't want to sell the light ones until they get a lot bigger. I'll keep a few of the heifers.

Is there anything else I can do to help them keep gaining? They've been vaccinated. What problems should I watch out for?
Thanks,
gabby

At that size they're going to need a protein supplement to cheap them growing and healthy.

dun

Does "vaccinated" mean wormed? Likely a money maker if they weren't.
Protein, as Dun said.
I feed some whole corn, but I'm in corn country. I don't know what options you might have.

If you plan on keeping heifers you better get those young
bulls made into steers. If the heifers and the bulls are in
the 600# range, accidents do happen!

You will want to cut the bull calves. They are going to do nothing but chase the bigger heifers.
Vaccinate everything. Talk to your vet and get set up with a good vaccine program. Jimbob at Tractor Supply might know what he is talking about, but I choose to trust the guy with DVM after his name.
I don't know what you need to do in the south, but, here in NE California we vaccinate with 8-way, and Titanium 5.The heifers we plan to keep as replacements get there first Tric booster. Use a good wormer, something that kills both internal and externals. Do you need to Bangs the heifers in Georgia? You might want to think about implants.

Latest posts