Wean the calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I have two cows that I bought this fall (one in Oct. and one this weekend) that each have a calf around 275-300lbs. Of course, since they had the calves when I bought them, I do not know their exact birth dates. Anyway, both cows are thin, I would say that they each have a BCS of around 3.5 or 4. They are doing a GREAT job on the calves, though. My question is, should I go ahead and wean the calves at this size to help the girls put on some weight and get ready for the next calves, or by weaning them at this size will it do more harm to the calves than good for the mommas? Thanks for any advice.

Zach

sounds like the mommas need some serious supplementation.

Z&J Cattle":192hik5t said:
I have two cows that I bought this fall (one in Oct. and one this weekend) that each have a calf around 275-300lbs. Of course, since they had the calves when I bought them, I do not know their exact birth dates. Anyway, both cows are thin, I would say that they each have a BCS of around 3.5 or 4. They are doing a GREAT job on the calves, though. My question is, should I go ahead and wean the calves at this size to help the girls put on some weight and get ready for the next calves, or by weaning them at this size will it do more harm to the calves than good for the mommas? Thanks for any advice.

Zach
Are these Momma Cows Fullmouths or Shortmouths?

Z&J Cattle":2v7qcejg said:
Fullmouths. Vet mouthed them to be 4 and 5 years old.
How's your Pasture? I'd put them on some high quality Hay, good Minerals,and or a good supplement tub.Leave the Calves on em'.

by supplementation, i mean grain, soyhulls, etc.

Z&J Cattle":3kyv7oaw said:
Pasture is fairly good. Have quite a bit of fescue and I am supplementing with Bermuda/Fescue hay.
Sounds to me that the Cows are just giving their all to the calves. I've got some Cows that tend to be the same way, at times.My guess is that they're probably good milkers. Let the calves get around 500lbs. then wean, the cows should bounce back right quick.

Its almost December and forage quality is not going to be worth a diddly until March (if then). I would go ahead and wean. They were probably mismanaged and were not in shape when they calved. With calves sucking them down, in winter, you are not going to get them in shape and right now I would be thinking ahead to getting them bred for their next calves and breeding thin cows is an adventure.

Thanks to both of you guys for the advice, but, I now have two totally oppisite opinions! Does anyone else want to chime in to be the tie-breaker? :lol:

OK, here is your tie-breaker. It is the cow's job to raise the calf to weaning which is a heck of a lot heavier than 300 lbs. They probably got that skinny raising those calves on this year's drought stressed pastures. Leave the calves on the cows make sure they get good hay and minerals. Like someone else said they will bounce back when the forage gets good.

I don't know if my opinion matters, but I don't believe I would wean them that young or at that weight. I would supplement them with some good hay and keep an eye on their body condition. If it improves (and it should), great. If not I would add a little grain and possibly look at adjusting my calving schedule so they don't have to support calves on winter grass. Just my thoughts.

You could also add some creep feed for the calves so they don't demand so much from the cows.

Sorry Ruby, we must have been typing at the same time. :oops: Farmhand has another very viable option.

You have purchased an unknown. You don't know if the cows are "hard doers" or been mismanaged, or whether the calves are 7 months old???
First, it is much more economical to feed the calf (at any age) - rather than feed the cow to feed the calf.
You will be money ahead to wean the calves. First, you will need a GOOD quality grass hay for the calves. After, a few days on the hay, you can start them on a good grain (about a 15% protein) at 1% of their body weight per day for at least 1 week then slowly increase it to 3% of their body weight.
Second, the cows will regain their weight MUCH FASTER if they are dry cows.
Are they bred yet??? If not, for sure they need to be dried off if you want to get weight on them to rebreed.
If they are bred, you want to get them into body condition of at least a 5 - prefer 6 - BEFORE calving.
If the cows are in BC score of 5-6 at calving, they will do a much better job of milking & rebreeding for you next year.
THAN, you can let the cow do her job & raise a 7 month old calf - hopefully weighing 5-700#.
I feel this is the only way to really give the cow a chance to do you a good job.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3uptym1t said:
You have purchased an unknown. You don't know if the cows are "hard doers" or been mismanaged, or whether the calves are 7 months old???
First, it is much more economical to feed the calf (at any age) - rather than feed the cow to feed the calf.
You will be money ahead to wean the calves. First, you will need a GOOD quality grass hay for the calves. After, a few days on the hay, you can start them on a good grain (about a 15% protein) at 1% of their body weight per day for at least 1 week then slowly increase it to 3% of their body weight.
Second, the cows will regain their weight MUCH FASTER if they are dry cows.
Are they bred yet??? If not, for sure they need to be dried off if you want to get weight on them to rebreed.
If they are bred, you want to get them into body condition of at least a 5 - prefer 6 - BEFORE calving.
If the cows are in BC score of 5-6 at calving, they will do a much better job of milking & rebreeding for you next year.
THAN, you can let the cow do her job & raise a 7 month old calf - hopefully weighing 5-700#.
I feel this is the only way to really give the cow a chance to do you a good job.

Since your keeping score count me in this group. IMO the above advice is the best you have been given so far.

Latest posts