wean flaps

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy all,
We've been using the quiet wean flaps and so far like them. Calves do sometimes manage to nudge them off but they seem to stay on about 3/4 or 4/5 of the time.
We usually put the flaps on for a week or two then separate them from mamas. (After a couple months, any weanlings we haven't sold we reunite with the herd, as we have too few animals to run two separate herds). This year, however, we ended up with just one calf that needs weaned in early March. We can put the flaps on and then separate her after a week or two, but water will be a beyotch if our March temp is like last year's. (We'd put a few other cows or older weanlings in with her for company). But instead we're considering just keeping the flaps on for two weeks, then taking them off (no separation from mama). Any of you use wean flaps for a couple weeks, without actually separating them? Obviously, we'd watch her closely after taking them off.
Thanks!

All you can do is try.. If she keeps it on and doesnt learn to suck with it on, she should wean. Not my preferred way - but do what ya gotta do.

I have seen people leave them on for a while. They seem to work for them okay. I separate all our animals for several months. Then if they have to come back into the herd, I let them back in after several months. Have never had a problem.

Two weeks is nothing. I'll almost guarantee she'll go back to nursing if you pull it then and don't separate. I've left them longer... up to 4-6 weeks on 'problem' calves.

Lucky_P":2uaolxi0 said:
Two weeks is nothing. I'll almost guarantee she'll go back to nursing if you pull it then and don't separate. I've left them longer... up to 4-6 weeks on 'problem' calves.

No problems with soreness etc leaving them that long? Would it help to remove it at 2 weeks and put a fresh one on for another 2 weeks?

I didn't say that they don't cause some irritation &/or ulceration if left in longer than a week or two... but it also depends on the size of the calf. Some bigger calves are pretty raw inside of a week.
Never had one with some irritation that didn't heal right up after I finally pulled the nose flap.
I don't see that pulling one and putting in a 'fresh' one would be any different than just leaving the original in for a longer period.
I'm just saying... 2 weeks... she's probably gonna go back to nursing if she's still with her dam. We usually turn 'em out with the nose flaps with the dam for a week (or two), then separate, and they don't go back with their dams for several months.

And then you have the ones that you leave in for life (or until sale barn time)..

Lucky_P":1y2169yn said:
I didn't say that they don't cause some irritation &/or ulceration if left in longer than a week or two... but it also depends on the size of the calf. Some bigger calves are pretty raw inside of a week.
Never had one with some irritation that didn't heal right up after I finally pulled the nose flap.
I don't see that pulling one and putting in a 'fresh' one would be any different than just leaving the original in for a longer period.
I'm just saying... 2 weeks... she's probably gonna go back to nursing if she's still with her dam. We usually turn 'em out with the nose flaps with the dam for a week (or two), then separate, and they don't go back with their dams for several months.

Good to know they heal up ok if you leave them in longer. Guess we'll put one in for 2 weeks then see how the weather is going mid-March (and how feasible it is to separate them given the weather/temps/water issues). Some years we get a mid-March melt-off and other times we get 38" snow (like last 3/15). Thanks!