Wean heifer calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

illegal_arm

Reaction score
Hereford mom is looking pretty darn drawn down. Is it okay to wean her calf at 120 days old? Got lots of grain and hay

Yupp been feeden her lots of groceries for last 3 months. Almost Impossible for her to gain weight while she is lactating. She has been a good cow 3rd calf all A+

No problem weaning at 4 months. I have done it many times for a show heifer.
Generally, I will pull the calf into the barn & keep them separated during the day, offering the calf some grain, then let her suck during the night. I do that for a few days, then complete wean. Not saying you NEED to do this, it just gives the calf a chance to start on grain. but, if you have been graining the dam, has the calf been eating with her?

I'd wean her, get the cow to put on some weight without the calf pulling her down, and then ship the cow. She is not doing you any good by not being able to feed a calf and hold her condition. She may have some other internal problems you can't see. And you need to watch if you keep this heifer as a replacement.... many times they do what the dam did. You don't need "hard keepers" .

Latest posts