We got rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
Our 20% chance of rain paid off. We got 1 3/4" last night. I just wonder how this is going to affect our grass before it starts drying out again or how long we can wait until we get more rain. the ground just soaked things up. We have around 290 bales left from lst season, but are getting tons of calls to sell it. What a delimia. If we sell and have a bad hay season, we could b screwed. If we do not sell then wasted opportunity, but I guess we can sell it next year. All our hay iskept in a barn and is net wrapped so should stay good.

Well...how long was it since you last 1 3/4 of rain ...or any rain for that matter....It took that long for this one and it may take longer to get another. Do what you think best.

Geography is funny we haven't seen the sun in like 38 days....when will it ever stop raining...lets do some tradin...

rustyoar":2wom0nsa said:
Geography is funny we haven't seen the sun in like 38 days....when will it ever stop raining...lets do some tradin...
Kinda goes with the territory doesn't it Rusty...live in Texas... expect some dry weather...live in Washington/Oregon...expect a lot of rain....live on the coast....expect a hurricane occasionally.

Southeast Texas between beaumont and Jasper. We have another shot of rain towards first of the week. Still having nights in the 50's so the hay is not really growing right now. It has been 2 months since we have had any rain. Total rain for last year was 5". Crazy weather. Wouild love to see normal weather patterns. Although now it is like do we cut ryegrass now or wait till after this chance passes. I love farming. The rain is more important then cutting this ryegrass.

Stockbub, do what ya want, but even if it started raining all over Texas now, their is going to be a hay shortage. I say play your cards close to the vest and dont get greedy.

If I was a commercial hay producer-- I'd be willing to sell some now, say half of it, to take care of regular/loyal customers. The rest I'd quote much higher or hold on to, speculating prices will rise.

Got 8 inches of rain, slew of tornados, floods, total power outage in Madison county Al, dusk till dawn, curfew, ect.......

Firewood is easy to come by though. Everyone's yard is full of firewood now.

stockbub":24zrl1ih said:
Southeast Texas between beaumont and Jasper. We have another shot of rain towards first of the week. Still having nights in the 50's so the hay is not really growing right now. It has been 2 months since we have had any rain. Total rain for last year was 5". Crazy weather. Wouild love to see normal weather patterns. Although now it is like do we cut ryegrass now or wait till after this chance passes. I love farming. The rain is more important then cutting this ryegrass.

stockbub, off topic but there is a little bbq joint between Boeaumount and Jasper that is good. Little joint out of town but good food. I was working that area and stopped to eat. An older lady there said she sure would like to try an MRE(meal ready to eat, dehydrated something to survive on until you can do better). Gave here a couple because that is what we had been eating for days after hurricane Ike. It was like she had gotten a Christmas present. Hope she still thought that way after she tried it. Can't remember the name of the place though. Sorry for the hijack.

Latest posts