WCS

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Those that feed it, how much and how often? I have a handful of Herefords dropping f1's this week. And everything else is heavy bred, should start dropping in Jan-mar. I've been putting out 100 lbs twice a week 40 head

5S Cattle":39eoe1wc said:
Those that feed it, how much and how often? I have a handful of Herefords dropping f1's this week. And everything else is heavy bred, should start dropping in Jan-mar. I've been putting out 100 lbs twice a week 40 head

On sure enough winter grass or average hay I would be at about 150 pounds a day on 40 pairs.
Your probably good on the dry cows.

callmefence":25mxdgit said:
5S Cattle":25mxdgit said:

On sure enough winter grass or average hay I would be at about 150 pounds a day on 40 pairs.
You'd say I'm good on twice a week or would you bump that to every day?

Back when it was 80$/ ton we used to feed 2 1/2 lbs /hd on Mondays, Wednesday and Friday( had a older guy that fed those days and it worked good), sacked it up and fed in little piles on clean sod

Turkeybird":regckiw2 said:
Back when it was 80$/ ton we used to feed 2 1/2 lbs /hd on Mondays, Wednesday and Friday( had a older guy that fed those days and it worked good), sacked it up and fed in little piles on clean sod
Pretty much what I'm doin now. I have it dumped on covered concrete. Then scraping it into old feed and corn sacks then making 4-5 piles/sack. We're your cows dry or lactating turkey bird?

They were dry, but when they started calving we would top dress a little ground corn on top( aimed for one pound)

5S Cattle":3sx209h2 said:
callmefence":3sx209h2 said:
5S Cattle":3sx209h2 said:

I would think that your good what your doing on dry cows. Maybe go every other day if your grass is played out.
Once they calve start ramping it up.

callmefence":3jcc9arb said:
5S Cattle":3jcc9arb said:
callmefence":3jcc9arb said:

I would think that your good what your doing on dry cows. Maybe go every other day if your grass is played out.
Once they calve start ramping it up.
Thanks fence. Never messed with this stuff before

Turkeybird":ju5do1pt said:
They were dry, but when they started calving we would top dress a little ground corn on top( aimed for one pound)
Next time just increase the seed and forget the corn. :nod:

Latest posts