Water Tank Heaters..............

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I have a couple of 110 (?) gallon water tanks.

In past years I pulled the plugs and put in heaters that go through the hole and sit on the bottom of the tank. Never liked them as they would eventually start leaking thru the gaskets.

This year I used one of that kind and 1 that just sinks to the bottom and you need not worry about the stupid plug.

Well of course, the plug type in the one tank is leaking.

Question is this: Should I get another sinking heater or should I get a floating heater?

My thoughts are that a floating heater only needs to heat the first few inches of water and will kick on less than the sinking kind that heats the entire tank. My concern with the floating one would be a cow or bull throwing it out of the tank while being curious/stupid antics.

Right, wrong, other thoughts?

robertwhite":26oexm3a said:
My concern with the floating one would be a cow or bull throwing it out of the tank while being curious/stupid antics.

Right, wrong, other thoughts?
That's been my results except when I could set it up so that it didn;t move and was screened in.

I have my Tank in a corner and I wired the sinking kind with screen around it, to the corner post and dropped it straight down. The bulls can't get to it. There's a yard hydrant right across fence with a 4" PVC Elbow wired to it with pipe going to the corner and wired to post. Sloping down hill so no freezing problems. Works well because it's to far for the bulls to reach across and screw with it. As I'm sure they would love to do. LOL B&G

Thanks guys.

Figured they would mess with the floater. I will go with another sinking one. The bull doesn't mess with the one I have in the other tank.

Latest posts