Water softener

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Never have had one. The house we're having built will have one. For outside water, i.e. yard hydrants, livestock water, etc., do you tap in to the waterline between the source (or pressure tank) and the water softener or after the water softener (before the water heater, etc.
Also, what if any is the benefit of a water softener with really high limestone/mineral water. Can you taste the salt in the water

Thanks

I had one on the house in Montana. It was a community well and gravity pressure so no tank. Only the potable water line went through the softener.

No. Did not taste the salt but the water feels soft (slick or greasy).

It cleans better, does not stain or leave hard water marks on sinks, toilets, etc. or build up in pipes.

We lived in a limestone area once where our water was white. Could not taste the salt in ours either. The water felt slick. Just like BR says. You get used to it though. I would tie my outside water in between source and softener. The more water you use the more salt you'll use. I can't remember how often we had to add salt. But I wouldn't want to buy it for outside water. Also If I remember correct it dumps a brine water onto the ground every time it flushes itself.

When you buy the softener pellets or salt make sure you buy the "natural" product. With it I have never had a slimy feeling but with the other salts I never felt clean after a shower.

Use Joy soap or you won't be able to get that dry feel after a shower. Our water was so bad the ice cubes would have a orange tint and sulfur smell. I don't miss that at all.

You may have done this already, but if not have your water tested 1st ( independent place not a softner company). Many people install softners and do not need them.

Our outside water is straight well water; inside has a softener and reverse osmosis (RO) system supplied by 2 wells. I'm assuming you'll also have septic? Make sure to flush a Rid-X tab or powder down the toilet at least once a month, especially if you're also going to have RO. You won't need to use as much soap/shampoo/detergent with a water softener. I've never tasted the salt & we've had at least a softener in our last 5 houses.

Latest posts