Wasp stings.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Does anyone have a home remedy to treat a wasp sting.Something to take the baseball size swelling down.I have heard baking soda but I don't have any on hand and don't feel like running into town.Thank you.

The afterbite products contain ammonia. You can also treat jellyfish stings with ammonia. It might work...

If you don't have ammonia mud will help draw posion out as it dries. Kinda a want for anything else cure.

Thanks everyone,Tod I don't think it is infected as the stinger came out right away.However I always have a bad reaction but not like this.I got stung last night around 9:00 pm while feeding a calf.Put some peroxide on it and forgot about it.This morning it was the size of a grapefruit and doesn't hurt but is really itchy.I put vinegar on it and an ice pack and the swelling has gone down quite a bit.I am still alive so it can't be that serious ;-) .If it still bothers me tommorow I will go to the doctors.Next time I will have proper medication on hand so it doesn't get this bad.All were great tips thanx.

hillsdown":3p89w540 said:
Thanks everyone,Tod I don't think it is infected as the stinger came out right away.However I always have a bad reaction but not like this.I got stung last night around 9:00 pm while feeding a calf.Put some peroxide on it and forgot about it.This morning it was the size of a grapefruit and doesn't hurt but is really itchy.I put vinegar on it and an ice pack and the swelling has gone down quite a bit.I am still alive so it can't be that serious ;-) .If it still bothers me tommorow I will go to the doctors.Next time I will have proper medication on hand so it doesn't get this bad.All were great tips thanx.

Take a Benadryl right after being stung helps with the pain and itching. I can't say about the swelling.

Cowdirt":kwcbr88n said:
Take a Benadryl right after being stung helps with the pain and itching. I can't say about the swelling.

I actually had a stiff shot of Drambuie.I don't know if it helped with the itching but it sure helped with the pain :D .

hillsdown":2dun2c2h said:

If you were allergic to a wasp or bee sting you would likely be dead by now.

Swelling is normal - even the big stuff. Itching means you are on your way to healing.

Wasp, hornet and bumble bee stings do not leave the stinger behind - it is a smooth stinger - honey bees are barbed and those may have to be "scraped off".

Thus the bad guys can sting - and keep on stinging.

Do not pull honey bee stingers and sac by pinching with tweezers - it pumps more juice from the sac into your arm. I scrape them off with a knife.

I kept a few hives for about ten years - every year the first stings swelled pretty good - by the end of honey season they did not even give me a small bump.

Thinking on this I may start again ....

Keep a bit of epinephrine on hand in an auto injection device - your tongue starts to swell - hit yourself in the thigh with the needle - it may very well save your life. We carry them in all the vehicles. Cheap insurance.

Bez+

I have heard that meat tenderizer works. Don't think it will do any good at this point-needs to be done asap after the sting.

I don't know if this works after the fact, but my granfather used to crush a baby asprin (I suppose a regular asprin might work just as well) add a few drops of water to turn it into a paste and then apply it to the sting area. It's worked for me in the past. I was just stung a few weeks ago and I didn't have an initial reaction except the pain and some choice curse words, but about a day later my eye swelled shut. I saw the doctor and he said that it was a mild allergic reaction. Apparently according to him, even if you've never had a reaction before you can still have one later in life. Go figure, good luck.

They have covered just about everything I can think of.

I was clearing some brush for a friend and got attacked by Yellow Jackets. About ten got me on head. I used after-bite but it still hurt like H four hours later. I really didn't' swell. I guess being bitten so many times as a kid I have a bit of immunity to them now.

There was a hunter down the road a piece that got bit and died before they could get rescue to him.

Jogeephus":cvh1lz3v said:
If you don't have ammonia mud will help draw posion out as it dries. Kinda a want for anything else cure.

As cheap as amonia is, I keep bottles everywhere. Neutralizes the venom acid in scorpion stings too. Immediately hit the sting of a wasp/hornet/scorpion with amonia and the venom is overcome - pain ceases.

Horticattleman":2v3iktzw said:
wet tobacco
i second that good old tobbacca or snuff.will take the sting out fast.an stop the pump knott swelling.been there an done that.an it works.

Horticattleman wrote:
wet tobacco
i second that good old tobbacca or snuff.will take the sting out fast.an stop the pump knott swelling.been there an done that.an it works.

Thats the only thing ive ever used, chew on some Levi Garrett for about 15 or 20 seconds put it on the sting then put a bandaid over it and forget about it. It draws the poison out and relieves the pain. The quicker you get it on there the better it works.

Got stung and grabbed a bottle of the pink ringworm spray I got from Jeffers and decided it couldn't kill me and tried it. Amazing, it immediately took away the sting and no swelling after.

I read on my email about taping a penny on the sting and it would work. I also sent that same email to m y sister and she tried it the other day and said it really worked. Wouldn't hurt to try it. I believe I will the next time I get stung.

hillsdown":36girfmg said:
Cowdirt":36girfmg said:

I actually had a stiff shot of Drambuie.I don't know if it helped with the itching but it sure helped with the pain :D .

Good idea. Since one shot helped I would try a double next.