Wart advice please

Help Support CattleToday:

mejasa

Reaction score
Hi I have a steer which has grown several wart like growths on his face which seem to be increasing in size very quickly. One is very close to his eye. I have been told there is danger they are growing beneath the skin and could break through else where ,, for example his eye. Any advice is greatly appreciated

If they truly are warts, they are a virus and it has to just run it's course.
Now if there is a possibility of cancer eye, that's a different story.
Can you take a picture?

Snatch one off and feed it to the cow and they will all fall off. They'll all fall off anyway like BC said but following this old wives tale will at least make you feel like you did something and when someone reports you for animal cruelty you will at least be able to say you did something.

Better just go ahead and shoot it. CrimsonCrazy probably already called it in.

Really though as long as it's not affecting it's normal everyday life, just let it be.
You could though if he is in with anyone else, cut them off and feed it to the other calves.

As long as it's not causing problems, I let them be.. I have yet to have one cause problems.

I have a very pretty heifer and she has a wart by her eye, I think it's getting ready to fall off on it's own anyhow.. Anything I do would cause her more grief than the wart.

Had a heifer at the vet years ago for bangs vaccination and asked the vet about the warts on her face and he gave me three options.
1. Do nothing and they will fall off in three months.
2. Squeeze with pliers and they will fall off in 90 days.
3. Give her a medication and they will fall off in about 13 weeks.
I chose option number one and he was right.

Greenhaw

Latest posts