Warning to the Beginners and Wantabees.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
A lot of you beginners think there is always money to be made in cattle. Seems a lot of you forget about mother nature as a factor. I picked this gal up at the salebarn yesterday 5 months breed for 380.00. She wasn't the only one selling quiet a few lots of 3 or 4 head 400 to 500. Ranchers in trouble due to the drought down here. A year ago these cows would have brought 800 or better.

11-24025.jpg
[/img]

Caustic, it looks like you made a pretty good buy. A person just needs some pasture, but that's the reason they are selling for those prices. No pasture available.

la4angus":3lgeu5q9 said:
Caustic, it looks like you made a pretty good buy. A person just needs some pasture, but that's the reason they are selling for those prices. No pasture available.

Right on La4 everybody stocks there place for the good times forget about having to give them away in the bad. If you look at the Palmer drought index extended forcast be able to pick up some even cheaper before this is over with.

Caustic Burno":2heovzuc said:
A lot of you beginners think there is always money to be made in cattle. Seems a lot of you forget about mother nature as a factor. I picked this gal up at the salebarn yesterday 5 months breed for 380.00. She wasn't the only one selling quiet a few lots of 3 or 4 head 400 to 500. Ranchers in trouble due to the drought down here. A year ago these cows would have brought 800 or better.

11-24025.jpg
[/img]

An add-on.

This cow is what many have in their herd and plan to make money with. After all everyone makes money on cattle. 8)

But Mother Nature and God have a way to keep us in our place - markets do not always go up.

This cow looks to be by herself in her new home - mature and quiet - in a reasonably well penned area.

Bred back? Maybe - if all goes well she will calve and if she is not a decent mom - both can go to the store and be sold.

I bet Caustic does not turn her into a pet that cannot travel - guaranteeing that she has to produce rather than living at her new retirement home.

Bez!

Caustic, nice buy. I wish I had a bigger place. I've got plenty of grass for the cows I've got but I don't want to risk running out by overstocking.

Think my wife has come up with the solution to the drought!!!! We're filling our 300 gallon spray rig with molassas(sp?). We're then spraying it down the gopher holes and teaching the cows to suck the gophers out for a protein supplement!

Bez you are correct as usual dang there was a pen of 5 brockle faced cows 4 to 7 years old went through yesterday for 550.00, I couldn't get them to split them at the barn. If they had some of those girls would have came to work for me.

Please humor the novice.

That cow has a big head? hehe.

What breed / X is it? I have Herefords and that cow looks to have some Hereford blood in it but the head is too big.

Saltydawg":1jas5w6x said:
Please humor the novice.

What breed / X is it? I have Herefords and that cow looks to have some Hereford blood in it but the head is too big.

If I had to bet she is out of a Jimmy Farringtton Hereford bull with those freckles and a F-1 Tiger.

Saltydawg":3i5o8ots said:
Please humor the novice.

That is a "TRUE" pallethead! ;-)

Guess I wasn't the first one to notice the head on her. But! a good buy Caustic, congrats.
As for the cattle market what goes up must come down just like anything.
I'll give it two years.
The newbies and wannabe's haven't a clue...!

bif

buckaroo_bif":3dwhk7y1 said:
Guess I wasn't the first one to notice the head on her. But! a good buy Caustic, congrats.
As for the cattle market what goes up must come down just like anything.
I'll give it two years.
The newbies and wannabe's haven't a clue...!

bif

Nope and you will not be the last - but at that price - tough to beat.

Calve her out and sell both - what does that spell?

Winner!

Doesn't have to be black, registered and a top gainer to make a person some money - just gotta' know what you are doing.

Bez!

Yea I wasn't suggesting it was a bad cow or nuttin...just noticed the big head and was curious of bloodlines.

My Herefords arent registered and won't win me any ribbons at the fair...but they have calves every year and are starting to make me a few bucks so they are good ones to me hehe.

Got one that looks just like her, and she's bred too. Right purty. I'll be selling her and her calf at weaning time. You could get a decent deal on her. But go ahead and plan on penning her and calling the vet before she calves, unless you're better than me at sticking her inards back in after calving.

The differance in a cattleman and a novice is knowing when to take that chance. I think caustic did all right.

Caustic, a couple of summers ago people were selling out right and left up here due to drought. If hay could even be found, prices were so high that people couldn't afford to buy it. Record numbers at the sale barns and cheap prices on the cattle - one sale barn is on my way home. There would be 15, 20, 25 stockliners lined up waiting to load every sale. I sincerely hope the drought breaks before that situation hits down there.

msscamp":1zav1uk2 said:
Caustic, a couple of summers ago people were selling out right and left up here due to drought. If hay could even be found, prices were so high that people couldn't afford to buy it. Record numbers at the sale barns and cheap prices on the cattle - one sale barn is on my way home. There would be 15, 20, 25 stockliners lined up waiting to load every sale. I sincerely hope the drought breaks before that situation hits down there.

Too late. Dublin had 3000 head. They also had a special sale on Dec. 29. Sale ended at 8 AM Sat. morning. Poor calve buyers :lol: No between the drought and the 32000 acres burnt and coffee shop panic I noticed a 200 drop in stockers already. Cows that the barn would not bat an eye at opening for 1000 started at 750 to 8. Some still sold for 1100 bu they were really good.

Scotty

Scotty":2h5npacz said:
msscamp":2h5npacz said:

Too late. Dublin had 3000 head. They also had a special sale on Dec. 29. Sale ended at 8 AM Sat. morning. Poor calve buyers :lol: No between the drought and the 32000 acres burnt and coffee shop panic I noticed a 200 drop in stockers already. Cows that the barn would not bat an eye at opening for 1000 started at 750 to 8. Some still sold for 1100 bu they were really good.

Scotty

Scotty there were some fine animals went through the barn here Saturaday nothing close to a 1000 dollars except a 2 year old Brangus bull guaranteed. Saw some fine Char bulls come through also papers and guaranteed also sold as cutters.
Cow calf pairs bringing under a 1000. Ya'll did good at those prices.

Scotty":h19idwo9 said:
msscamp":h19idwo9 said:

Scotty

Damn! Yeah, the barns up here had some of those sales, too. I was really, really hoping you guys wouldn't have to deal with that. :(

Latest posts