Warning, gross pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Had a first for us AND our vet. First calf heifer, about 1200#, bred to easy calving bull.
Saw on camera she was not getting it done. Couldn't SEE her backend. We go out at 4am and she had 1 leg and head. Calf is dead. My nephew is amazing with calving difficulties. Neighbors call him for help. Couldn't push the head back but heifer was down. Got my little Mini zapper, got her up. Pushed head in. Got 2nd leg out. Ok. Piece of cake. Small calf. Pull. Nope. Put rope in handles and made a come along. Nope. Got out the calf pullers (only tried using once). Nope.
Called vet.
Thank God my regular vet came out. Clinic has about 6 large animal vets, mostly new.
He felt and felt and felt. Said calf had fluids in bellie.
Never had this before. Thought about taking a big needle and puncture bellie, but knew that would not be good for heifer. Cut head off, went INSIDE the calf and punctured the stomach inside calf, so all the fluid came out the neck of calf right on the ground.
Calf came right out.
Vet raises reg Angus. Said this was not a genetic defects that the sire or dam was carrying. Said it was a fluke developmental issue with the calf.

Attachments

• 20230206_060228.jpg
    20230206_060228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230206_061443.jpg
    20230206_061443.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230206_063603.jpg
    20230206_063603.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230206_064206.jpg
    20230206_064206.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It always sucks when you have to cut one apart to get it out. Only had to do it once. Hope I don't have to again.
Is the hfr doing okay? Will you give her a second chance?

seems like no matter how long someone has been raising cattle there is always something new happening. hope the heifer is doing good after all she went through. hope the rest of your calving season goes well.

Had one like that many years ago. Correctly positioned. We were able to jack it out in one piece, but a very hard pull. As we pulled, it kept getting bigger and bigger in diameter as the fluid was pushed to the back. Usually, you get past the shoulders and it gets easier. Not so for this one. Huge swollen belly of fluid. Cow was ok. Not 100% sure, but I think it was also her first calf. Only one of those I have seen.

Is this what they refer to as Waterbelly?
I always heard water bellie was on a live steer.
This was definitely a first.
Heifer seems perfectly fine. We gave good dose if LA300.
Definitely will keep her. Not her fault. Too expensive to replace her genetics. Much cheaper to let her have a free ride.
Grateful it was a bull and not a heifer.
Usually, all the scewie stuff in at the beginning of calving. We are almost done. 5 left spread thru Feb to Mar 2.

Is this what they refer to as Waterbelly?
I think "waterbelly" has been used to describe this condition in unborn calves. An accumulation of fluid in the belly due to improper fluid movement in the calf and exchange with the cow. I don't know if "waterbelly" is the correct term or not, but I see it used for this.

I think the more common use of "waterbelly" is in feedlot steers that develop urinary calculi in the urethra, blocks the urine flow, bladder overfills and bursts and urine accumulates in the belly. Detected early, a little surgery to redirect the urethra externally can be done and the animal immediately slaughtered even if not finished. My understanding is that more salt in their diet will help to prevent the calculi.

We had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. That cow was swollen up in the middle, for a while before and I just thought she was big and probably going to twin. When she finally calved and realized it wasn't coming out. Tried to pull it and couldn't, neighbors came and tried and couldn't. It was in a Sunday of course, so finally got in touch with a vet.
The vet tried to pull it, and then said he would have to do a C section. The calf was full of fluid and huge. The vet said the calf was well over two hundred pounds and obviously dead. The placenta was thick almost like a rubber ball. He said it was rare called it Hydrops. It was a registered Angus cow as was the sire of the calf. It was during the time of several defects, but the vet said it was not a genetic thing it was just freak thing having to do with the amniotic fluid.
Cow was dead the next morning. It would have been her fourth calf, I had bought her as an open heifer with absolutely no issues till that experience.

Last edited:
So. Our bad morning continued. Went out around 4am. Finished with our bubble calf, vet cleaned up and left. Cleaned up that mess and started chores. Went to check 2 and 3 yr old c/C pairs. Java, one of "my" kids show heifer (shown as calf and bred yearling - won lots) was feet up in air. Thought she was dead, but we found her soon enough. Couldn't flip her, so got tractor and used a halter to pull her upright. She had melted a hole in the snow and ice and MUD. She beat herself up trying to get up. Head, eye, ear, face all swolen.
She couldn't get up, so we covered her with blanket and tarp and hay, while we worked on a plan to get straps under her. Called for reinforcement (strong friend) and got an area ready to haul her into a barn.
While we were slipping the heavy straps under her...she struggled and got up. Whew!
Walked her slowly down the hill to the barn, with her calf in front. Going to give her Azium (Dex) in a little bit. Talked to vet, he said give heavy dose of 20cc. She is a 2 yr old but huge. Probably 1400#.

Attachments

• 20230206_094815.jpg
    20230206_094815.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230206_094750.jpg
    20230206_094750.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Bad luck today. Sorry to hear about that. Hope she recovers and is ok. You might have trouble sleeping tonight.

I'm sorry you lost the calf, but glad you were able to get it out and save momma. I'm glad you found Java in time. That's always a sick feeling to find one like that. Ours will scare me sometimes when they are laying sprawled out in the sun like they are down or dead , and I go running to check on them. Hopefully the bad stuff is out of the way now, and better days ahead for y'all.

You know, I opened my big mouth and commented about being almost finished with calving and no major problems.
Sorry problems are cropping up for you. I know how it feels. Seeing as there is already a warning on this thread I guess I can share this pic. Found a couple of mornings ago at feeding time. Was the second day in a row to find a calf (calves) like this. Maybe 20 lbs each. Official start date Mar 3
920DC80D-BDA1-4D8D-A18F-4698B45F379E.jpeg

Glad you found java in time. I've had a cow a steer and a bull do that to me. I saw the cow and steer in time, used the tractor and straps got them up but the bull did it when I was gone. Mine were all caused by over centering themselves on uneven ground.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This calving season seems pretty hard with lots of misfortune for many farmers here too. Hopefully the end will be smooth and calm.

Latest posts