warbles, grubs, bot flies

Help Support CattleToday:

ironhorse

New member
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
Got ox warbles on a couple of my 3 year old cows. They got hit pretty bad, maybe about 30 - 40 bumps each on their backs and ribcages. Just noticed today. Problem is, I have been using ivermectin pour-on since they were calves. Their last dose was 09/11/09. Any idea why the warbles appeared? What's the best thing to do, let them run their course? A neighbor told me to shoot them up with LA-200. I appreciate any information.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
Seems strange that you would have them showing up this time of year. I've only seen the lupps wit hthe breathing hole in the winter or early spring. If the breathing hole is present you can pop them out using one of the old glass coke bottles. Put the mouth of the bottom over the lump and smack the bottom of the bottle. 99.9% of the time the grub will pop out. If you have a weak stomach I don;t recommend it.
 

chippie

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
4,550
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas Gulf Coast
sick2.gif
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
dun":fpnougvl said:
Seems strange that you would have them showing up this time of year. I've only seen the lupps wit hthe breathing hole in the winter or early spring. If the breathing hole is present you can pop them out using one of the old glass coke bottles. Put the mouth of the bottom over the lump and smack the bottom of the bottle. 99.9% of the time the grub will pop out. If you have a weak stomach I don;t recommend it.


That sounds easy enough.
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1036wi4s said:
dun":1036wi4s said:
Seems strange that you would have them showing up this time of year. I've only seen the lupps wit hthe breathing hole in the winter or early spring. If the breathing hole is present you can pop them out using one of the old glass coke bottles. Put the mouth of the bottom over the lump and smack the bottom of the bottle. 99.9% of the time the grub will pop out. If you have a weak stomach I don;t recommend it.


That sounds easy enough.

Sounds like an easy enough way to jump-start a vomit.
That sounds awful. I've not heard of this type of pest, praise the Lord.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
farmwriter":2fydfnx7 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":2fydfnx7 said:
dun":2fydfnx7 said:
Seems strange that you would have them showing up this time of year. I've only seen the lupps wit hthe breathing hole in the winter or early spring. If the breathing hole is present you can pop them out using one of the old glass coke bottles. Put the mouth of the bottom over the lump and smack the bottom of the bottle. 99.9% of the time the grub will pop out. If you have a weak stomach I don;t recommend it.


That sounds easy enough.

Sounds like an easy enough way to jump-start a vomit.
That sounds awful. I've not heard of this type of pest, praise the Lord.


I reckon someone has a weak stomach?
 

Workinonit Farm

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
12
Location
Ctrl Virginia
farmwriter":29gxls0h said:
Sounds like an easy enough way to jump-start a vomit.
That sounds awful. I've not heard of this type of pest, praise the Lord.

A few years ago a friend of mine had 4 of these things in/on her horse. She called me over there, she had no clue what they were, wondered if she needed the vet. Nope, I can fix it :lol: I didn't use the coke bottle method, but her reaction was much the same as some of the above posters :lol2: . I thought it was pretty cool.....she thought it was pretty gross. :lol2:

Katherine
 
OP
I

ironhorse

New member
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
Thanks. Yeah, I've heard about the coke bottle trick. I ran them thru the chute to get a feel of the bumps. I couldn't see the breathing holes yet. Guess the worms haven't matured enough. I guess I'll just let them run their course. I can't imagine popping out 5 or 6 dozen of those maggots. The flies were pretty bad here in S Texas this summer, heck they still are...temperature's still been hitting 90 degrees and above.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
ironhorse":5cc9zfm7 said:
Thanks. Yeah, I've heard about the coke bottle trick. I ran them thru the chute to get a feel of the bumps. I couldn't see the breathing holes yet. Guess the worms haven't matured enough. I guess I'll just let them run their course. I can't imagine popping out 5 or 6 dozen of those maggots. The flies were pretty bad here in S Texas this summer, heck they still are...temperature's still been hitting 90 degrees and above.
The fly to be concerned with is the heel fly thats what the grubs are.
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
Okay, heel flies I've heard of.
Late in the evening once in a while, a cow will curl her tail way up over her back and run as hard as I ever see ours move. Daddy always said that was probably a heel fly after them.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
farmwriter":378g6nlj said:
Okay, heel flies I've heard of.
Late in the evening once in a while, a cow will curl her tail way up over her back and run as hard as I ever see ours move. Daddy always said that was probably a heel fly after them.
Exactly! In the early spring you can use a grubicide on them before they come out of the hide. By then they should be past the internal parts of the cow that can cause problems.
The prefered method is to use a good grubicide type killer on them after heel fly season. That's kills the grub while it's still not in a vital part of the cow and will diminsh a lot of the future problems. We use doctomax in the fall and haven;t seen grubs/warbles/whatever you want to call them in years
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
Okay, so do I need to do this, Dun? I've never seen any lumps (and certainly nothing with maggots coming out of it) so should I be concerned just because I see evidence of the flies a few times?
If it matters, I've got neighbors with cows and I'm pretty confident they're not using a grubicide.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
farmwriter":3o0ezzt2 said:
Okay, so do I need to do this, Dun? I've never seen any lumps (and certainly nothing with maggots coming out of it) so should I be concerned just because I see evidence of the flies a few times?
If it matters, I've got neighbors with cows and I'm pretty confident they're not using a grubicide.


Personally, I take a wait and see approach.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
farmwriter":2s6yrarg said:
Okay, so do I need to do this, Dun? I've never seen any lumps (and certainly nothing with maggots coming out of it) so should I be concerned just because I see evidence of the flies a few times?
If it matters, I've got neighbors with cows and I'm pretty confident they're not using a grubicide.
You can wait till next fall and treat them with a wormer that also gets grubs. Won;t do anything for the ones that are there now but will keep them from developing next year. Check around, a GOOD cow vet is a place to start and find out when you're heel fly season is and when treating for them is recommended.
The grub sort of looks like a maggot on steroids. Light brown/tan. Just before they;re ready to emerge they're slightly bigger in diameter then a filter on a cigerette.
(I'm kind of wondering that if you're seeing the lumps now that they were already there and your worming killed them before they could develop fully. Just sort of spitballing an idea)
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
dun":3l90im4s said:
farmwriter":3l90im4s said:
Okay, so do I need to do this, Dun? I've never seen any lumps (and certainly nothing with maggots coming out of it) so should I be concerned just because I see evidence of the flies a few times?
If it matters, I've got neighbors with cows and I'm pretty confident they're not using a grubicide.
You can wait till next fall and treat them with a wormer that also gets grubs. Won;t do anything for the ones that are there now but will keep them from developing next year. Check around, a GOOD cow vet is a place to start and find out when you're heel fly season is and when treating for them is recommended.
The grub sort of looks like a maggot on steroids. Light brown/tan. Just before they;re ready to emerge they're slightly bigger in diameter then a filter on a cigerette.
(I'm kind of wondering that if you're seeing the lumps now that they were already there and your worming killed them before they could develop fully. Just sort of spitballing an idea)


Thats what I was thinking dun.
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
ironhorse":2bmp1icu said:
Got ox warbles on a couple of my 3 year old cows. They got hit pretty bad, maybe about 30 - 40 bumps each on their backs and ribcages. Just noticed today. Problem is, I have been using ivermectin pour-on since they were calves. Their last dose was 09/11/09. Any idea why the warbles appeared? What's the best thing to do, let them run their course? A neighbor told me to shoot them up with LA-200. I appreciate any information.

Ivermectin won't touch grubs. Should you decide to treat them, you need something along the lines of Warbex to kill the grubs. With that many bumbs, I believe I would be talking to my vet prior to treating, though. Reason being is that it is absolutely possible to kill a cow through treatment(killing) of the grubs - usually that is only if you treat at the wrong time of year, and the grubs are migrating through her system. With the number of grubs that you're talking about, I would still ask - better safe than sorry.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
msscamp":1ld3m5qd said:
ironhorse":1ld3m5qd said:
Got ox warbles on a couple of my 3 year old cows. They got hit pretty bad, maybe about 30 - 40 bumps each on their backs and ribcages. Just noticed today. Problem is, I have been using ivermectin pour-on since they were calves. Their last dose was 09/11/09. Any idea why the warbles appeared? What's the best thing to do, let them run their course? A neighbor told me to shoot them up with LA-200. I appreciate any information.

Ivermectin won't touch grubs. Should you decide to treat them, you need something along the lines of Warbex to kill the grubs. With that many bumbs, I believe I would be talking to my vet prior to treating, though. Reason being is that it is absolutely possible to kill a cow through treatment(killing) of the grubs - usually that is only if you treat at the wrong time of year, and the grubs are migrating through her system. With the number of grubs that you're talking about, I would still ask - better safe than sorry.


Another great post and good advice.
 

Latest posts

Top